Cable Modem

thetaxmanthetaxman Washington
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I just had a quick question.
My modem was taken from me by my step-dad, and I got another from a friend. It is an RCA modem, but it didnt work on his computer, only the first light blinked, but on mine, it seemed to work fine. All the lights turned on. The problem is, the internet doesnt work. It wont let me connect. I asked my friend and he said somethinga bout registering the new modems to your computer. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
Thanks

Comments

• PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Gunna need more detials, such as the modem type.
    Did you install any drivers when you attached the modem to your machine? What opperating system are you running?
  • edited July 2003
    The RCA\Thomson MDC series modems used in the US for cable are DOCSIS's-- there are three major models still in use and all have retail and commerical variants, but all will reset. They are remote managed modems. If you have them plugged into one compuer and they fetch DHCP and you then plug them into another computer and the Cable provider sends another IP sicne the modem is sending the computer's network cards MAC address what now happens is they have 2 MACs and 2 IPs. Result-- no internet.

You need to call the Internet provider or unplug and reset the modem WHILE THE COMPUTER IS OFF and then see if it will initialize (If it does then you have a chance of getting the computer to go online if the netowkring in the computer is right) and if not then you get to call your cable company for the one and only computer you want the modem to work with and have them repush a program to the modem. To test and see if your grandparent's computer will work on cable with a modem temporarily just resettign will gt you possibly an hour of srufing to a couple days-- but if modem will not initialize the cable provider has to know what modem exactly is now hooked to this account so they can tell their servers exactly how to talk to the modem.

The RCA's do not need drivers with: Windows 95,98, XP, or Linux. On Comcast, installing the drivers trashes networking on 98 and 98 SE and XP. Comcast uses a different firmware revision customized for them and intended to simplify modem setup-- install drivers, modem will no longer talk to PC. If you used an RCA CD, uninstall what it installed especially if you have Comcast. That is what I had to do 3 times-- lower thier techs kept saying it should work, higher level techs finally said not to bother and not bothering and uninstalling the already loaded drivers got me back online.

John-- who has gone through four brands of modems getting things working and ended up buying his own modem (Zoom Telphonics 5041) and every modem changeout except one or machine or NIC change to test required a call to Comcast and a new program pushed to modem firmware or a notification to Comcast so they could clear their records of old MAC from another PC out of modem and\or their servers.
  • berkoberko NY
    edited July 2003
    if it is like my setup with optimum online then the account is linked to the MAC address of the modem. without that address being registered to the account you will not have internet access
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    That's how my RoadRunner is setup.

What's the limiting factor to speed? The modem or the server? If the modem, then does anyone know if there are any cable modems that can spoof the MAC of another modem?

If the server, then oh well.
    Originally posted by berko
    if it is like my setup with optimum online then the account is linked to the MAC address of the modem. without that address being registered to the account you will not have internet access
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by thetaxman
    but on mine, it seemed to work fine. All the lights turned on. The problem is, the internet doesnt work. It wont let me connect. I asked my friend and he said somethinga bout registering the new modems to your computer. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
    Thanks
    Your friend was close. Your cable modem has to be registered with the cable IPS. They will need the serial number to activate it.

Unlike phone modems, cable modems themselves log on to the network. Not your computer. Once logged on, you can plug any computer into them and get on line.
  • edited July 2003
    Well, actually, traffic on your local cable trunk to router or server that gates to internet for you.The more busy the gate,the more latent the signal outward. The busier the cable, the more the gate also has to separate and that takes time.

If there is noise on cable due to bad insulation than that takes time for vmodem to filter. And the first modem models given out are slower than my provider can handle in my area-- got a faster modem, surfs some faster (about 15-30% depending on use in our area-- lots of neightbors gert on and it slows down).

If it is real slow, see what model you ahve and I can find out how old the model is and if it has been replaced. If you want to look yourself, look up the model number in google, find the mfr site and look at the specs. If it is a DOCSIS 1.0 it probably has been superceded. The Zoom 5011 was a DOCSIS 1.0. The Zoom 5041 is a multimodal 1.1\2.0 DOCSIS depending on firmware pushed to it.

DOCSIS 1.0 tops at about 1 Mbit, 2.0 at over three Mbits for same time frame (one second). Most cable networks are topping in some places at 3 Mbits (New Jersey, New York especially), while I am out in the semi-boonies for Internetworking.

I had a .8-.9 Mbit\Second rate average on a 3COM Home Connect given me when the RCA provided by Comcast got surged (by comcast's line). The RCA was getting about .9-1.2. The modem I finally ended up with gives about 1.2-1.5 Mbits per second-- same house, same computer, same cable line, but network was upgraded also.

That means the modem I have now is only able to get data flowing down 1.5 times faster than my slowest modem most often did. Upward feed to the internet with cable is about 1\10th downward feed from a server to a cable customer.

Thus, if you got cable to run a gaming server on, that is not a good idea as the cable network will slow the outward feed to a crawl by its way of doing things. For surfing it is super, for gaming DSL is as good or better.

DSL is slower down unless you are paying for an extreme premium for very high rates, but up can be 2-3 times the rate of cable. DSL is more balanced as to upward and downward rates,so your response doesn't take 10X longer to get completely there as opposed to the server's feed.

So, the answer is all the above plus some, to your Cable question.

John Danielson.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by thetaxman
    I just had a quick question.
    My modem was taken from me by my step-dad, and I got another from a friend. It is an RCA modem, but it didnt work on his computer, only the first light blinked, but on mine, it seemed to work fine. All the lights turned on. The problem is, the internet doesnt work. It wont let me connect. I asked my friend and he said somethinga bout registering the new modems to your computer. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
    Thanks

As several said.. You have to register the mac address of the new modem. Thats all really. Thats what the cable and dsl guys use to identify you when you connect. Its like a serial number thats unique for all cable/dsl modems. When you switch modems you need to call the cable company and have them update the mac address on file for you.

If my cable company cuts me off for non payment they do not come to my house and yank the cord. They do not let my mac address connect. I can borrow a neighbers modem in the day while he is at work and connect fine with my line and his modem. Because his mac address is OK on his modem. Is this clearer?

Tex