Scheduled tasks..how to

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Installed Win98SE and the schedualed task icon is evident down by the clock, ie. running in the backround? I dont want it to start up at evey bootup. I can turn it off / stop using it after windows has booted, BUT how do I keep it off when I shut the pc off and then reboot later?
Thank You BruceY

Comments

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Try going into Start > Run > msconfig

Somewhere in the startup tabs should be Task Scheduler. (I believe 98se has msconfig, been years since I've used it.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited July 2003
    I went to Run-msconfig I looked for anything refering TASK SCHEDULER............but only found Task monitor. Anyhow I unchecked THAT and still have the scheduler still starting up. I wonder if I can remove it via ADD/REMoVE Programs-windows setup...............just tried, no good
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    Check in your registry for the OS startup and remove task scheduler. Also, did you check start up in your menus (START|PROGRAMS|STARTUP)? Also, maybe open the program from the taskmanager and see if you can remove a setting. Last but not least, find the exe and rename it, sometimes the error message will hint at where the start routine is.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    "When you disable your startup items from this System Config Utility program
    it creates a second Run category in your registry (creating a dash(-) after the word run) which is unwanted.
    In Start Menu you will go to RUN and type in Regedit and press OK
    Expand Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Highlite each item you don't want and delete the key.
    You will also see a Run Services folder
    Highlite each item you don't want and delete the key.
    You will see two folders here...Run Services- and Run-.....Delete the Run- folder and then do the same with the Run Services- folder as well
    ***THIS MUST BE DONE WHENEVER A NEW STATUP ENTRY IS MADE IN MSCONFIG***

You will only be able to auto run these deleted entries in the future by putting a shortcut to the app in your Start>StartUp folder. If unsure, just uncheck in MSconfig but definitly delete the run- and runservices- folders.

I find Task Shedular/Task Monitor not worth it. I do my maintenace manually. These apps constantly run in the background and steal cycles. Task monitor is supposed to help for defrag but I've yet to see a real difference. In addition to these tweaks in this thread, move TASKMON EXE to a non system folder,

Feel free to download this file and get some improvement on your defrag setup.