Messenger PopUps

Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Im sure some of you have come across the new thing in pop-ups, the windows messenger popup, usually wanting you to buy the program offered to stop it, a sort of extortion but anyway, how do those things work, are they just like the standard pop-up, or is there a seperate way to kill em? Any help would be greatly appreciated, specially since ive gotten two while writing this post =(

Comments

• karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited July 2003
    Go to Start, Run, type 'services.msc' and hit enter. A window will come up, you need to scroll down to 'Messenger.' Double click that, and where it says 'Startup Type', choose 'disabled'. That will get rid of the messenger popups. Press 'OK', close the window, and bam, you're done (well, you may have to restart Windows, I am not too sure about that.)

And you know what, I don't know why Microsoft even included this in Windows, it is a wide open door for the most annoying this ever. :mad:
  • edited July 2003
    Moved to software :)
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I actually have a wonderful time with the messanger service ;). Nothing is more fun than while playing a game with a room mate send them 100 or so messages (using a program I made) and make them check what the dinging is. When they change windows kill them as many times as you can.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    At college, school or work, type this in the Run box........

net send * Yuo are teh SUCK

yep
    NS