can I host with this setup?

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
bellsouth dsl >>>cayman 3220-h>>>three rigs(Me,XP Home<XPPro)

I want to host my own site without a major pain in the ass run around.

I have a domain and everything.

one rig was dedicated to folding when folding was cool, it ain't so cool nowadays.

BellSouth gives me a dyn. IP address (of course) and they want major money for a static one which for me is not an option.

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Folding is way cool, everyone is doing it :)

The best way to test it out is to run apache on your server computer, and just see how much bandwidth you are looking at with certain amount of users. Why not just go with a cheap hosting company?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, it could be trouble updating that IP for DNS if it changes... it depends on how often it does change, really. And of course the bandwidth and what you're willing to give out.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You are asking for nothing but headaches with your ISP if you willingly break the terms of service and start hosting a site - you will essentially be at their mercy and your site will be screwed if they decide to pull the plug any time they want. If money is really a problem you can get some really ghetto hosting out there, as cheap as $5 a month, but if you want your site to actually stay up and work, you should go with a professional hosting company. I own one, CitrixMeta who owns this very site owns one, and also forum members Rob and JSH-John own hosting companies - you have four excellent, reputable, and professional companies to choose from just from your association with icrontic. It really doesn't matter to me who you choose, as you can't lose either way, but I would hate to see you try to host it yourself cause you're just asking for trouble.