ICS via a Router / USB Modem

mm2mm2
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Was wondering if I could get some help on ICS via a Linksys DSL 3 Port Router and a Alcatel SpeedTouch USB DSL modem?

This is my config...

HOST
- Host PC has a USB DSL modem
- Host PC has a NIC card connected to the Linksys Router
- Host PC has ICS enabled
- The router can be accessed via IE and the gateway IP address of 192.168.1.1 (currently using the default address Linksys suggests)
- Host PC has WWW access via the USB DSL modem and all works fine
- Mapped the Host PC to the Client PC drive and can see / access all Client PC files

HOST WORKS FINE TO GET TO WWW AND TO ACCESS CLIENT PC

CLIENT
- Client PC is connected to the Linksys Router
-Mapped Client PC to the Host PC to the and can see / access all Host PC files
- Client PC NIC card is configured to "automatically get IP address for TCP/IP for IP address and gateway
-IE Tools/Internet Options/Connections LAN Settings set as "auto detect"
- Client PC canNOT get WWW access via Linksys Router / Host PC NIC card

CLIENT DOES NOT WORK FINE TO GET TO WWW BUT DOES WORK FINE TO ACCESS HOST PC FILES

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    Use the router for the gateway on both computers. You don't need ICS when you're hooked to the Linksys.
    Don't use the wizard ,get rid of the mapped drives. Make sure XP doesn't have the firewall enabled.
    Let the router take care of handling the IP's. In the router it is under DHCP.
    Network connections Folder- TCP/IP properties- obtain ip address automatically and check netbios over TCP/IP in advanced. and Client for Microsoft Networks installed.
    Then go to Advanced on the toolbar of Network Connections Folder. Open advanced settings. TCP/IP should be bound to Printer and File Sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks. Share some folders on each.
    Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. When you open Network Places you should be able to see both computers.
    You will be able to access the internet from either computer. The only time they need to be on at the same time is if you need to get into the network. Make sure your configuring everything in Administrator. Use lan in email options.
    I've never used ICS so there might be other fubared setting. If you can get back to the basics it will work.
  • mm2mm2
    edited July 2003
    Maggie,

What you're suggesting would work fine if the modem is a ethernet modem, it's not. It's a USB and there is NO RJ-45 jack. Therefore the router cannot be connected directly to the modem, but to the HOST PC via USB. Then the NIC card in the HOST PC is connected to the Router / Gateway. Hopefully this clarifies the config.

MM2
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    I guess I don't understand. Where does the router come into the mix? I figured the router was hooked - Modem>Router > computers . Are you running it Modem > Computer1>Router> Computer2 like a hub?
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yes because it's a usb modem so he can't hook the modem into the router. Modem > CPU1 > Router > CPU2 is correct.

Ok mm2 for starters let's go into the webadmin for the router and disable dhcp on the router.

Set up the ics computer as you did before and then hook that into port 1 on the router (not the uplink or wan). Then hook the other computer into port two and try to set that up as you did before.