Options

Red Hat Linux - The End

2»

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Same here, I must have missed the insult :confused2

But anyway, I have to agree with Prime on this one. As a desktop OS Linux is never going to be able to compete with Windows until they get together and concentrate on a standard for everything and make it more user friendly.

But server side, different story. I work for a company that uses the SAP, Oracle, and Peoplesoft. They wouldnt put it anywhere near a box that has windows on it. We have at least 4 times as many Unix/Linux servers as Windows servers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Is it possible that the server-side popularity than Linux enjoys is fostered from the fact that those who were responsible for developing Linux later went on to own the companies which ran all the major servers?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Or it could be the easier configurability, less resource usage, easier program execution and termination without having to invole other parts of the system.

Try setting up a Linux server. You will find everything offers more control over what you do with the system. I am not going to sit here and explain it all, you need to set up a system yourself and see what you can do, and you will realise that you gain MUCH more control over the system than with Windows' spoon feeding approach.

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    yeah really man, i mean there's no evil conspiracy to undermine windows as a server as you seem to think.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    "the companies which run all the major servers"?? huh??? could you elaborate?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hrm.

Oracle, Sun, etc.. The people who founded those companies were all big proponents of the open source movement, and actively contributed to its success as a free enterprise.

Is it possible (I'm posting this as an actual question) that the people who helped get Linux off the ground were the same people who eventually went on to run the major corporations, subsequently using Linux?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Huh? Dude, where are you getting your information? Oracle was founded in 1977 by Larry Ellison, Bob Miner, and Ed Oates, waaaaay before the open source movement, waaaay before linux.... and Sun was in 1982... Before open source, before linux....

And I would say that the answer to your question is "no".... Linux is still an infant. The people who "helped get linux off the ground" are still actively involved, since linux is barely off the ground ...
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak
    tip-toes through the thread.
    /me puts his finger up to his mouth as he's turning to face the camera and says, "Shhhh. Be vewy vewy quite. I'm huntin' wabbit."
    /me...
    Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    tip-toes through the thread.
    /me puts his finger up to his mouth as he's turning to face the camera and says, "Shhhh. Be vewy vewy quite. I'm huntin' wabbit."
    /me continues to tip-toe.

Breaking news: Linux is dead. I just saw it on the AP wire. Hold on to your hats everyone, we're in for a bumpy ride. Now that Linux is dead, the Internet will crumble, banks will close, the stock market will crash and . . . oh, wait, N/M. It was just the latest windows bug coming through e-mail. Forget what I just said.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    whats left??whats distros arw worth purchasing? what do u ppl think?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    Slackware is my personal fav, but if I were a major corporation I'd most likely go w/ SuSe or even Red Hat because of the support.

Gentoo is good if you want to compile everything for your particular system but it can be a real pain.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, SuSE........

Never bought any of them. Don't need to.

In regard to whats left, there are still about 30 mainstream distros and countless other smaller ones.

NS
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I thougth IBM just dumped a buttload of $$ into SuSE. So there's one linux that is set for a while.

I think its funny that people want linux to be a desktop replacement but when anyone tries to make a distro that is even a half-assed attempt at it, they scoff it into oblivion. Lindows is at least trying to make a decent, user friendly desktop linux for your mom and pop users, but the eliteist lindows community can't see past their idealism to be supportive.