MSI NEO-FIS2R 875P System

BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
edited August 2003 in Hardware
I just built a new P4 system and seems to me the system does not OC as easily and the results are not as pronounced as the AMD systems seem to be.
This is the first Intel system I have owned since 3yrs ago.
Maybe some off you Intel geeks could point me in the right direction with this system.
I am running a P4 3.0ghz 800fsb cpu.
This system is very fast and smooth, maybe I don't even need to get much of an OC with this system.
I just have read reviews where this system board OC'ed to 274fsb on air cooling.
I know this is a new system, but I have not been able to up the fsb to more than 230 and get the system to post.
I probably can work with this system for awhile and find some better results, but you know how the bankrupt doctor is
"NO PATIENTS"
LOL.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited August 2003
    Good to see you 'round Boby (it's Pinky from old AOA days ;) ).

Are you raising the cpu voltage yet? Could be reaching an early mhz ceiling or encounting some heat issues when you're raising the fsb... just a thought.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    The only voltgage I have increased is the DDR. Went to 2.8v on this, none for the AGP or CPU as of yet.
    I feel like a greenhorn with this Intel system.
    I set the memory just like I have with AMD systems and this system didn't like this at all.
    The memory I have is Mushkin "black pcb" PC3200 CL2, super good stuff in the nF2 mobo I have been using it with.
    I may have to go another route with this Intel system in order to get the fsb to go much higher than default.

Haven't heard from you in months, I quit the AOA forum way back when, have settled on just a few forums to visit now.
    Try to stay away from all the smart axx people on some of the other forums.
    I just like to help where I can, in this case I am asking for help.
    edited August 2003
    Well, I bumped heads with daniel which lead to my dismissal... that was over a year ago. I'm with you, let's get to hardware! :p

I don't think it's your memory holding you back. Unlike our AMD brethren, Intel processors are a little harder to overclock (damn locked multipliers :mad: ). This means clock speed is growing tick for tick as we raise the FSB. You may need more voltage on that core to gain more clock speed. Watch heat, as always...
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    This mobo comes with a OC'ing utility, I have looked at it once and it looks interesting.
    It changes the fsb,voltgage,relaxes the memory timmings, and everything as you go up with the fsb.
    I think I should probably use this and see how far the system will go without starting to not post, or not load the OS.
    Maybe I should put more faith in the mfg utility and less in my own hard headed ways. LOL
    edited August 2003
    I always test the max bus and clock speeds I can achieve at the max voltage my cooling warrants, then tweak timings, etc from there. Sounds like the utility is a good start. :)
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    I can go to 330 by using the OC'ing utility supplied, and it sets the memory timmings to 6,3,3,3,3.
    I ran 3dMark2001se and the score was 250points lower than the same system only set to the memory tweaked to the max and the fsb at default.
    So robbing peter to pay paul just comes out at a slower score than before.
    I guess I will just have to play with this thing until I find out where the sweet spot would be.
    This system board just may not OC all that well.
    I never attempted to OC the system with the 1.3 bios that came in the board.
    I flashed to the 1.6 bios the first thing because as I understood the bios 1.1,1.2,1.3 was not a good bios with this board.