Digital Camcorder -- Your Suggestions

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
OK guys (& Gals)...

I have been given permission to look into and purchase a Digital Camcorder. The requirements, Digital, and under $800 USD.

I've researched a few models and found the one I think I like. It is the Sony DCR-TRV39 MINIDV HANDYCAM. It seems to be a good mix of things. Great picture, good low light and good sound. I have found it for $638 (assuming I call and deal with customer service instead of online ordering).

Some of the other highly reviewed Camcorders... Canon Elura 50, Optura 20, Sony DCR-TRV350, & Sony DCR-PC101.

So.... What do you think

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I have a Sony DCR-TRV250 Digital8 camera and I love it. It was $400. Has composite video out, svideo out, iLink (Firewire/IEE1394) and USB2 conectivity. SteadyShot, NightShot, very nice image (MiniDV/Digital8 both have great picture quality) 20x optical zoom, 700x digital zoom, 12 and 16bit 48khz stereo sound recording. has a ton of other features, i love it, the TRV350 is the next step up and the only differences are the SuperNight Shot (longer range) and it has memory stick.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I have the DCR-TRV320 and you cannot beat the price/performance of these cameras. It is an excellent digicam for the price. I mean, more $$$ usually means better, but I would say that's not true in this case.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    There are two things that I like about my digital8 camera.
    1. great optics
    2. I can find cheap 8mm tape everywhere

What not to like?
    1. big and heavy
    2. menus are tough to follow

It give great quality video, and with an external mic (top mounted gun mic) the sound isn't bad either.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    OK... I've got a coupon for 10% off any purchase over $200 for Curcuit City. With all the stuff I need and the Sony TRV350... I can walk out for just under $600. I'm gonna buy it this Friday. Then play with it over the weekend!!!!! Mwaaaaaa...

Thanks guys...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited November 2003
    I'd go for Canon. Canon usually has impressive quality on anything they make.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My weekly Webshow is filmed on a Canon ZR45MC Mini-DV video camera. I bought it almost a year ago for $600 and it has always done well. I could say something about the weenie little 1 hour battery that will BARELY last 50 minutes (but that's okay, you can spend MORE MONEY to buy a larger battery) but that's a minor point. The lens cap will fall off if you look at it the wrong way or breathe too hard on it, but that's also a minor point to me.

I was just in a Circuit City last week, and they had the Canon ZR70MC for the same $600.

Buy one of those.

My ZR45MC has FireWire, S video, speaker and microphone jacks in it. I guess those are standard these days.

This camera can take still photos, but I never used that feature, I have a digital camera for stills which I rarely use anyhow.

See the Webshow here:
  • edited November 2003
    sony is better quality at this price range. Buying at circuit city is a good idea cause you can easily return it if you don't like it. It's possible to save more money if you look at www.bhphoto.com or www.onecall.com - both very reputable places. Bought my TRV25 from bhphoto.