Nvidia/LCD Monitor Refresh Rate Problem

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I recently received my new Sceptre X9G Komodo II from newegg.
The monitor is listed as 75hz on both the website and documentation that came with the monitor. I'm using Windows XP and when I go to the monitor tab in display setting 60hz is the only option and the "Hide modes that cannot be displayed" box is grayed out. I'm using the latest whql detonator drivers from Nvidia's website. I've tried several Nvidia refresh rate fix programs and they don't work. I've gone into the Nvidia display settings and set all the direct 3d refresh rates to 75hz already, I'd really like to be able to set windows to 75 as well. Anyone know a fix for this.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Try the latest drivers for the monitor.
  • edited September 2003
    I'm already using them.
  • edited September 2003
    get NVRefresh, it forces the drivers to use a refresh rate you specify for every resolution, similar to the optimal option in win95
  • edited September 2003
    I had already tried NVrefresh. I went to the forums though and found out that it doesn't always work with 45.23 drivers. So I updated to some beta drivers and now it seems to be working. Thanks for the help.
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    Hmmm, I thought LCD screens disregarded refresh rates because they work differently than CRT's...
  • edited September 2003
    Than why would there be different refresh rates listed in the monitor driver files? I think nvrefresh actually worked, I'm experiencing less ghosting now. It could just be the driver update but I believe it's more likely a change in refresh rate.
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    Taken from Phillips LCD FAQ:

Q: What does "refresh rate" mean to me in an LCD monitor?
    A: For LCD monitors, the refresh rate is much less relevant. LCD monitors display a stable, flicker-free image at 60Hz. There are no visible differences between 85Hz and 60Hz.
    Q: What does Refresh Rate mean for LCDs?
    A: Unlike CRT display technology in which the speed the electron beam is swept from the top to the bottom of the screen determines flicker, an active matrix display uses an active element (TFT) to control each individual pixel and thus refresh rate is not really applicable to LCD technology.

As for you experiencing less ghosting, are you comparing two exact same things from before and after? Response time is the main factor when it comes to ghosting, not refresh rate.
  • edited September 2003
    whoops, i suggested nvrefresh thinking you had a crt (i have a VERY old crt that says komodo on the top so thats what i figured you had). refresh doesnt matter on an lcd
  • edited September 2003
    Ok so even though my monitor specs say 75hz it doesn't matter at all that it's set to 60hz??? Another LCD owner told me that raising the refresh rate would help reduce ghosting. Was that a false statement?
  • edited October 2003
    It may be spec'd at 75hz, but most probably not at the resolution you're using it right now...
  • edited January 2005
    I recently received my new Sceptre X9G Komodo II from newegg.
    The monitor is listed as 75hz on both the website and documentation that came with the monitor. I'm using Windows XP and when I go to the monitor tab in display setting 60hz is the only option and the "Hide modes that cannot be displayed" box is grayed out. I'm using the latest whql detonator drivers from Nvidia's website. I've tried several Nvidia refresh rate fix programs and they don't work. I've gone into the Nvidia display settings and set all the direct 3d refresh rates to 75hz already, I'd really like to be able to set windows to 75 as well. Anyone know a fix for this.

I'm having this same exact problem with my Sceptre x9g-Gamer LCD monitor. It is definitely supposed to support 75hz in its native resolution, and I can't find any way to do it. The company's own drivers don't give it support for anything above 60hz. I even double checked the manual, and it confirmed that they RECOMMEND you run it at 75hz. I'll keep looking into it. I don't think I trust that program that forces it into 75hz though...

The Display properties don't show anything other than 60hz, even when I select "show refresh rates not supported by this monitor". Anyone know a safe way to get Sceptre monitors to work correctly? I have an Nvidia card too. GF4 6600 Ti.

- Sega
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited January 2005
    edit: wtf old thread
  • edited January 2005
    edit: wtf old thread

Old, but unfortunately still relevant. Sceptre hasn't answered my email, and I can't seem to find many threads anywhere about Sceptre LCDs. Here I find one, and it is the same exact problem I'm having. I forced it to 75hz with the Nvidia program, and it only pretended to do it. I checked the hardware menu on the monitor, and it still said it was at 60hz. I believe the X9G-Gamer is considered one of the Kodomo series, but I'm not sure. Kodomo is an X9G.

- Sega
  • edited May 2005
    After a Google search for info I ran across this site. I 've had a Sceptre Gamer since January 2005 and have been unable to get the advertised refresh rate of 75 Hz at 1280x1024 resolution. Sceptre lists no driver for this monitor and I've tried all the 9xG drivers in their downloadable lcd monitor driver "update" file. Sceptre has been unresponsive to a phone call (left message) and 2-3 email requests. The OnScreen Display (OSD) info always shows a refresh rate of 60 Hz. The Settings window under displays always show the Gamer as a max supported resolution of 60 Hz. I've tried the "refresh" download and apparently set the resolution at 75 Hz but I get no indications of other than 60 Hz. This DOES MATTER since neither my wife of I can stand to look at the screen for more than about 10 minutes. Our eyes burn and it's no fun continuing in pain.
    My system:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with 4x512MB Kingston DDR-400 PC3200 RAM
    ATI AIW X600 Pro with 256MB RAM - PCI Express
    19" Sceptre Gamer (12ms video response) using the supplied DVI cable
    MS Windows XP Media Edition 2005.
    I bought this monitor hoping that the high video response and advertised 75 Hz refresh rate would give us pain-free computing, but the OSD info never varies from 60 Hz, though I can get a "-/-" instead of "+/+" when I try 1024x768 resolution.
    Has anyone out there truly been able to get a 75 Hz refresh rate? Check your OSD info and the FPD Attributes under Displays.
    Thanks for any help.
    wyntrout