Halo for PC-Safe Disk??

BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
edited October 2003 in Gaming
I purchased Halo for the PC the day it was available.
I played this game for several hours, before the system began to lockup, or run extrememly slow.
This became more serious, I uninstalled ane reinstalled this game several times, each time this would help but then back to same old, same old.
This became so serious, I changed out all the memory, reseated all the components, checked all voltgages, temps everything but found nothing wrong with the hardware, or drivers.
This became so profound that I pulled the Max3 mobo and RMA'd the mobo to get a new one.
While waiting on the new mobo to get here, I installed the AMD system I had sitting on a shelf.
Then the same thing started with the AMD system.
I formatted the OS partition and reinstalled the OS, then removed the game and reinstalled the game. Same old stuff.
Then Sunday evening something happened, the system locked up again, but refused to boot.
After running some diagnostics, I saw this message, the HD was not formatted??? After a couple of phone calls, I was lead to believe safe disk which MS has encorporated into this game can cause these problems.
I called MS game support and attempted to discuss this with a tech. This person was from the eastern block of the world, and he could not understand me, nor I could understand him.
After all was done, he had me format the OS partition again, install XP pro, install the software to gain access to the internet and download DX9.0b (this took the better part of an hour while I was on the phone with this tech)
After all was done, I asked when he was to address the safe disk issue. I was told he knew nothing about this safe disk, but would have a senior tech call me within 72hrs. *&^%$#
Surely I am not the only person that has had this problem.
I would like you to share with me anything that aids the safe disk stuff.
I had thought this was not being used anylonger.
I know it caused a lot of problems awhile back, and several gaming companies have gone to a different method of preventing the copying a disk.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    halo for the PC runs slow for everyone, it's an extrremely crappy port of the xbox version. i'd say your problems with your hard drive are totally unrelated. it was probably on its way to death to begin with.

I've never heard of safedisk causeing these problems for anyone to tell you the truth. I didn't have any problems like yours, of course I didn't acquire the game through a store, so i didn't have to deal with safedisk either ;)
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Want speed?

edit your shortcut and add "-use11" to it.

it should add some speed.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited October 2003
    I have the game installed in the same system except the mobo & cpu.
    I installed the AMD system I have been using for the past 4 months.
    I have played this game and there is not a problem one with it.
    I would say the Abit IC7-Max3 craped out for some reason, and caused corrupted files or something.
    Everything in both systems is new equipment.
    I had just purchased the Max3 & P4 3.0x800fsb cpu.
    The WD 120gb SE HD is less than 4 months old.
    I should have known better than to use the same files on the same HD, that was involved with a system that crashed and destroyed some files.
    I am using the same HD, but a fresh format and install of the OS, I have played Halo for the better part of this day and all is great. Mostly faster than some other games I have.
    So it was a defective mobo (bios, whatever) that caused all the crashing. I should have not blamed Halo for system crashing even while not playing the game. I just let this guy that lives down the street two houses get in my head, over safe disk stuff.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited October 2003
    How bad does the PC version of Halo run? Dont forget that the Xbox version only runs at 30 fps, which is PC gaming terms is pretty shabby...

Does the PC Version add anything new to the Xbox version, or is it an identical port of the origional? It support online play? Networking?
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited October 2003
    My IC7Max3 had gone down and was causing all these problems. I actually formatted the whole drive.
    Installed XP Pro again from scratch, rebuilt everything from backup cd-r's,
    I have Halo installed withing the OS partition and have played it for a whole day.
    Not one problem anywhere, the game is as fast as anyother game I have, and faster than some.
    The auto save at checkpoints shut down the screen for about a second, but then everything comes back as if it never was there. I have never had a mobo cause so much corruption and distruction of files as happened, I was foolish to not format the big end (D:) when changing out to the AMD system. There was files that refused to run and the game was installed on that end of the HD.
    I am happy now, the game is playing without any problems, the system is running as if there was never any problems.
    Maybe when the new IC7Max3 gets here, I can get it setup and will not have problems either.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by kanezfan
    I didn't have any problems like yours, of course I didn't acquire the game through a store, so i didn't have to deal with safedisk either ;)

If you can't elaborate on this further without venturing into warez discussion then it's probably close to being inappropriate to discuss on a public bbs ;).
    edited October 2003
    why do you assume warez? did i say warez? my point is that I'm 99.9999% that afedisk has nothing to do with his problems.
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by PyobliE
    How bad does the PC version of Halo run? Dont forget that the Xbox version only runs at 30 fps, which is PC gaming terms is pretty shabby...

Does the PC Version add anything new to the Xbox version, or is it an identical port of the origional? It support online play? Networking?

a couple more weapons, online play, that's all I remember. 30 fps, but constant. I'll get like 80 fps sometimes, and then it drops down to 10 or below in firefights with lots of enemies on screen.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited October 2003
    Cheers kanez, might pick it up if only to compare the two. As good as the Xbox controls are on Halo, it will be nice to be back to the good old Keys n mouse combo again on PC - much easier imo.
    edited October 2003
    agreed, i hated it on xbox, it just felt so unnatural to play a FPS with a controller. it's too bad it's such a crappy port on the PC.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited October 2003
    You are right, the game nor safe disk was not the problem.
    I think this was a hardware problem.
    I should be getting my replacement IC7Max3 soon, and I can put together that system again.
    I don't know exactly what caused the files to get corrupted on the whole hard drive.
    I did not encounter a virus, or worm, memory was not the problem.
    So I returned the IC7-Max3 (RMA) and I will get this thing back together and running again.
    I really liked that mobo, so I am looking forward to getting the system back to what I had when the mobo was new.

As far as the game, I like it. I have only gone as far as releasing the Captain and now looking to get into the entrance to release the security system as to enter and take control of the Halo. The game is interesting, fast play, no frame droping to unplayable no matter how busy I get in killing all of the toy's haha. Since the last install, there has been no faults and no halts nor lockups nothing of any kind. Great game IMO:::