Game flashes back to Windows Xp desktop, part 2

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited March 2007 in Hardware
since the last thread was getting a little bit long i thought it started to get confusing to search for things in it, so i started this one.

***update on problem***
I have reinstalled windows xp now, sim city 4 works, but red alert 2 does not, those are the only 2 games i have tried. I could have sworn red alert 2 worked a couple reformats ago? oh well

i have all updated stuff

i have tried all things under the other thread

i have tried all settings with the compatability wizard under properties of the game

Red alert 2 does not work under any way, except to install, help i love that game, i need it! i will try a shooter next, maybe unreal tournament.

***end***

Are there any tweaks or programs to get this to work, I also have a friend who can't get Red Alert 2 to work on windows xp, although we have not tried hard since he has got a different computer anyway.

Comments

• yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited October 2003
    Red Alert 2 quits after starting. Help for this problem needed.

Unreal Tournament doesn't start and gives me a "General Protection Fault" with a bunch of crap words i don't know what means. Help for this problem needed. P.S. This game has worked on pre installs of windows xp forsure.
    edited October 2003
    Total Annihilation works effortlessly with no adjustments... :)
  • edited October 2003
    Eh...just say screw it and play couter-strike haha. But your sure your game is XP compatible? If it is, maybe theres a patch online. This was the case when I played Max Payne...try those if not well sry I couldnt help.
    edited October 2003
    HEY! I JUST GOT AN IDEA FROM ANOTHER THREAD! COULD THE PROBLEM BE THAT THE HARD DRIVE IS FORMATTED IN NTFS INSTEAD OF FAT32? THE GAME WAS MADE BEFORE WINDOWS XP WAS EVEN INVENTED. WOW! IF THIS IS IT, JUST WOW! AM I GETTING TOO EXCITED OVER THIS, OR IS THIS A POSSABILITY?
    edited October 2003
    okay, I put CnC red alert 2 on a fat 32 partition, it gave me an error:

Title: ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initilaized properly

Description: ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initilaized properly

Button: OK

what the heck does this mean? I only found one site that shows this but is in another language
  • edited March 2004
    yagga wrote:
    okay, I put CnC red alert 2 on a fat 32 partition, it gave me an error:

Title: ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initilaized properly

Description: ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initilaized properly

Button: OK

what the heck does this mean? I only found one site that shows this but is in another language

I am getting the exact same error message. I am running It on a Windows 2000 machine. It works fine on my other PC which is also a windows 2000 Pc. They both have all the uppdate for windopws and Red Alert 2. Did you ever get a solution?

Thanks.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    set aside a small partition, say 2 gigs, install windows 98, and use it for those games.
  • edited March 2004
    All of those games run on XP. If you still have these issues after formatting I would look into your BIOS settings and maybe think about flashing to a newer BIOS version.
    edited March 2004
    adrkoehler wrote:
    I am getting the exact same error message. I am running It on a Windows 2000 machine. It works fine on my other PC which is also a windows 2000 Pc. They both have all the uppdate for windopws and Red Alert 2. Did you ever get a solution?

Thanks.

Yes, yes I did.

Here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3c9464fb-7cd7-461b-ad24-6a4d1c5df8ff&displaylang=en

Oops, this only works with XP, sorry can't help ya.

PS: It is a big annoying hassle to have to have all these different os for different things, especially crappy os like win 98. The most I'd ever want with windows is both 2K and XP for now, maybe different when the new one comes out, maybe.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    red alert 2 works fine under my xp and worked fine under my 64 bit xp when i had it installed. Whats your video card? and system I ma on aol and msn get ahold of me and ill walk you through everything till we get it fixed! I am a hardware guru and Game guru I can help
  • YuppieYuppie Australia
    edited June 2004
    red alert 2 works fine under my xp and worked fine under my 64 bit xp when i had it installed. Whats your video card? and system I ma on aol and msn get ahold of me and ill walk you through everything till we get it fixed! I am a hardware guru and Game guru I can help
    Would you be able to help me too please? I love that game and I can't get it running on my XP computer :(

my MSN address is liekomfgbbq@msn.com
    that's my email too. :)
    edited June 2004
    Well, first of all, whats the problem you are having right now?
    edited June 2004
    rapture wrote:
    All of those games run on XP. If you still have these issues after formatting I would look into your BIOS settings and maybe think about flashing to a newer BIOS version.

This actually might help! I decided to flash my Asus P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard to revision 16 and since I reinstalled XP Pro I have been able to run Red Alert 2 and Yuri without doing anything, this includes NOT EVEN TOUCHING COMPATABILITY MODE, which I used to have to do just for Yuri, but I also used to have to apply the microsoft patch as well, works great for XP. I will say that it is more of a sure fire working game if you have xp rather than 2000 though, because if you need compatability mode, you are screwed with 2000.

Moral of the story: BIOS flash "may" help
  • edited June 2005
    Sorry to Resurrect this old thred... But i Had to..

I've bought a new PC (3.4,512 Ram,GeForce MX 440,Windows XP on NTFS)..

RA2 installs fine.. but when I run it it shows the splash screen for a while.. and changes resoultion... after that it returns back to the desktop with no error messages...

I've tried installing all (up to date) drivers and patches... nothing worked..

Please help me :help:
    edited June 2005
    ennetws wrote:
    Sorry to Resurrect this old thred... But i Had to..

I've bought a new PC (3.4,512 Ram,GeForce MX 440,Windows XP on NTFS)..

RA2 installs fine.. but when I run it it shows the splash screen for a while.. and changes resoultion... after that it returns back to the desktop with no error messages...

I've tried installing all (up to date) drivers and patches... nothing worked..

Please help me :help:

Have you tried compatibility mode? Go to the directory where you installed the game and on the game executable files (I just do all the logos in the directory ususually) then right click on them and there should be a compatibility tab near the top. Go to this and see where you can select other operating systems and try windows 95 or 98/ME. See if this works first then report back. Also, do you have Yuri's Revenge installed?
  • edited March 2007
    i too have the prob with running games with this error, oddly enough my main game is Red Alert 2, but i am running Windows Vista....the patch doesn't include Vista any help????
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2007
    Well, I hate to drop a train on you, but Vista may be on the shelves, but it's far from ready. Everyone has atleast two problems with it, just like they did with XP when it first came out. I don't call an Operating system done until it's had a service pack or two. To be honest, the only reason I run Microsoft Os'es is because that's really all there is when it comes to compatibility. It sucks so bad though, because Linux could be mainstream if people would get off their asses and make a retard-proof version. Ubuntu seems promising, but it's not pretty enough for modern users because they think the UI is the most important frickin' thing.

But if you want RA2 on Vista, you're just gonna have to wait until someone (Microsoft) addresses the issue.
  • edited March 2007
    Vista sucks & I spoke with someone at Microsoft about it & told them that.RA2 will work with Vista thanks to some help from a website I use frequently. You have to run the game through the administrator. You right click on the short cut & click on that opt. After I did that I am able to play the game normally. Thanks for the help Y A Daddy!!! its nice to see there are some helpful people out there & i agree about OS......they need to be checked out b4 they hit the shelves
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2007
    Couple vista tips I've learned when running older software.

1st) As mentioned run the installer under administrator mode and then set the program properties to run as administrator. This means that every time you start the program you'll get the cancel or allow prompt.

2nd) Install the program into your documents folder and not the program files directory. The program files directory uses Vista's security layer and can cause conflicts with older software that isn't used to working with it.