Center Channel Not Working.

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem getting the center channel working on my Z680s. My shuttle has Soundstorm on it, and I just went to the 3.13s to try and solve the problem but it was a no go. Here it is

When I set it up to 6-Channel Direct (at the logitech control panel) and then run the soundstorm test tone, does the right, left, left rear, right rear, and sub, but when it trys to test the center channel, it only comes out of the sub for some reason. Nothing will come out of the center channel. When I switch to my optical out, there aren't any problems and it works flawlessly. No combination of settings seems to make this work, but I've had it working before after this problem. I know they work correctly in the mode, cause it has worked before. Any ideas???

P.S. reason I want to do this is because I don't have the digital out cable for my DVD player. Gotta order one of those still.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Roll back your driver. The 3.13s seem to have some issues still...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Does same thing with 2.45s.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    1) Did it work before?
    2) I've had some strange things happen on Soundstorm for no reason. I had to uninstall the drivers and reboot then reinstall them again...twice...then things magically starting working again.

I never found out why. :banghead:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Have you told it to enable the center channel?
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say

There's Thrax...pointing out the utterly obvious...I'm SURE Pseudonym has ticked the little box to do so...errr...right Pseudonym?

:doh:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    do u have 5.1 selected in your sound properties?
    also, the shuttle has only 3 jacks in the back...r u sure everything is configured properly
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    MediaMan had this to say
    Thrax had this to say

There's Thrax...pointing out the utterly obvious...I'm SURE Pseudonym has ticked the little box to do so...errr...right Pseudonym?

:doh:

I made that stupid mistake myself on logitech z680s with the SoundStorm 2...So I was just checking. ;D

It was something along the lines of: "Huh? Why is my center channel not work? ... Dammit. Why... Oh. Damn." -ticks the box-
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I've tried just about everything. Now I haven't seen anything about enabling the center channel, but I have seen create, so I'm assuming thats what you mean. It has worked before, and then not, and then it worked again, and for the life of me I have no idea why. Nothing seems to make it work and I'm going nuts. I think there are some pretty big problems with the soundstorm stuff when it comes to Surround.....

I'm going for the uninstall and then reinstall now, we'll see how that works.
    edited November 2003
    Ok, did the reinstall and that didn't fix it at all, it still has the center channel coming out of the sub. I have found other ways of making things work though, but it just means I have to go nuts with the Logitech controls, and I can basically make it do anything I want, except get that darn center channel to work......

Also the NVidia control panel will show outputs only on the right and left speakers sometimes, but it will run in surround, or it will show outputs on everything but the subwoofer, but the sub is working and.................:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Eh, oh well. I found that the DVD program I had could use the SPDIF, I figured it would give me trouble with that because I can't run CDs on digital out without the digital cable.
  • edited January 2004
    I had the very same Problem. The problem in this case is that the center speaker and the bass box signal are swapped. You can fix this easily by downloading this lil programme provided by Nvdia:
    http://www.nvidia.de/object/nvswap_1.0_de.html

(sorry i could only find the german version of the page, if you really need the english version google for nvswap)
  • MWRMWR Stockport UK
    edited April 2004
    fyi http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/sff/qa/Shuttle%20SN41G2%20XPC.htm Q13 also advises nvswap but doesn't tell the whole truth!

I am using (ReadMe in download is dated 25th March 2004)
    nForce Win2K/XP driver package which contains the below components:

Audio driver version 4.31 (WHQL)
    Audio utility version 4.31
    Installer version 4.31

6 (hmm) -channel direct input to AV amplifier Bottomline:
    You can only get EITHER Center OR Bass(sub-woofer)
    In my case, it seems to be only on the right channel.

...and there was me assuming that one "mono" sub-channel would be Bass and the other mono sub-channel Center :-{

...now what sort of challenge would that be for the end-users. ! ?

Meanwhile, my SPDIF works OK (I have the extra in/out card om my SN41G2), so
    I'll have to nag Shuttle support as a background activity.

cheers, Mark
  • edited June 2005
    Hey thanks for the nswap link that fixed it for me, i just clicked here and there, and i heard it turn on. AWESOME! thnx
  • edited December 2006
    I've noticed a big problem when I bought the logitech z5500s which is just a minor upgrade to the z680s. For those with nforce2 motherboards like me using the onboard sound, 6 channel direct wont play through the center speaker. It will only play in certain modes that have their disadvantages, like PLII Music mode.

I then bought a x-fi card and now I get sound through all my speakers! It seems like the x-fi card tuned the volume that comes out of each speaker though, but overall, getting a separate soundcard is the way to go if you have an nforce2