iTouch + iTunes = no workie?

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
i cant get any of the media buttons on my logitech elite to work with iTunes. the Play/Pause button works, but only if iTunes is selected. all the rest perform the default action, which is to open the default cd audio player. if you need any more details let me know

Comments

• Ken-MastersKen-Masters In your backyard!!!
    edited October 2003
    iTunes sole purpose for being on a wintel was to support windows iPod users with full sync capabilities. iTunes was never meant to support any other mp3 player on the market.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    im not talking about an mp3 player, im talking about the media controls for my logitech elite keyboard, which apparently work quite well with the MAC version of iTunes
  • MadJohnMadJohn Aragon, GA
    edited October 2003
    Agreed, the MEDIA key will not start up iTunes. I just
    assigned one of the F keys to start it. After that, the other
    media function keys(start, stop, pause, mute, etc.) work.
    Apparently, the Windows drivers for the Elite and Elite Duo
    do not specifically recognize iTunes yet. Guess we just have to
    wait for Logitech's driver guys to catch up.
    edited October 2003
    yeah i really cant get any of mine to work... crap

it may have something to do with the fact that i still have several other pieces of music software installed, that i use for different purposes
  • MadJohnMadJohn Aragon, GA
    edited October 2003
    The only extra thing I did was make sure that iTunes was
    selected as the default audio player.

When selecting the Media key, the window that it puts up for me
    shows: Windows Media player, Power DVD, Quicktime 6.4,
    Windows Media Player 9.00, and WinAmp 2.91. In error, I
    managed to to click on PowerDVD, After that, after I chose F1
    on the FLock function(which I assigned myself),and hit the
    Play/Pause key, it would start playing a track in iTunes AND
    start PowerDVD simultaneously. Great fun fixing that!
  • edited November 2003
    just a thought, i know nothing about itunes (other than it is an evil mac thing) but cant you save the mp3's somewhere and then just play them with a normal mp3 player, or is it like a streaming radio thing?
    edited November 2003
    it IS an mp3 player, im trying to get the logitech media buttons working with it :-D
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Don't you have software that came with your keyboard that allows you to go in and set what the different buttons do? There should be a set up for that somewhere as every hot-key enabled keyboard I've ever used came with similar software to do that.
  • edited November 2003
    If it just IS an mp3 player, whats stopping you from using winamp?
  • edited November 2003
    I registered just to post this:
    THe reason he doenst want to use Winamp is because it is a tired design that hasnt advanced in 5 years. iTunes, Mac or Windows, or whatever is quite simply the easiest and best way of organizing a large collection of Mp3s. Winamp is fine if youve got a few hundred but if you need a jukebox iTunes is the easiest most efficent way to browse your library. Media player doesnt even come close. I do miss some of media players functions but none of its flaws. iTunes is a supierior product and if you have a collection of music you treasure- you should do yourself a favor and download it.
    My Logitech keyboard is nuts with iTunes also guys. We have to get this fixed because these are two excellent products that I want to see working together. Please let me know if anyone has headway or advice- and no I dont need to go to the logitech website and get new drivers. I doubt anyone who even questions this issue would be elementary enough to have skipped the obvious first solution.
    edited November 2003
    yeah to the people above.
    first, actually READ my first post, and know what iTouch and iTunes are before you try replying

iTouch is logitech's software for the media functions on their keyboards

iTunes is a new media player that is excellent at organizing enormous music libraries, and i'd like to keep using it.

hopefully there'll be a patch for this
  • edited November 2003
    When Winamp 3 was first released my iTouch keyboard did not work either. Browsing the winamp forums I found that I could add this line:

Wa3=key,Studio.exe,BaseWindow_RootWnd,xxx,xxx,X,C,V,Z,B,0,1,WinAmp3

to the players.ini file in the iTouch folder. Based on this does anyone know how to do a similar add-in to get iTunes working properly? Here's the link to the Winamp thread if it helps. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65656 They semi-discuss how to do it I think.

If anyone can figure what to add please do, it would be a great help.
    edited November 2003
    i cant really find anything in that discussion, most of the thread is about how to make it default play a playlist after it opens it with the play button
  • edited November 2003
    Hey, I couldn't find anything on this on the web either, and it's been annoying me too, so I decided I'd try to do something about it. When I found out about the players.ini it wasn't hard, so you were right sychotik. Adding this line to my players.ini file worked:

iTunes=wac,iTunes.exe,iTunes,iTunes,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,iTunes

hope this helps.