Windows Wont Install

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
Nothing will install (devices) on my parents machine and I have tried eveything, so I thought I would do a quick repair install to get the thing working again, but when you try and boot off the CD it just reaches "Setup is now starting Windows" and does nothing, just sits there indefinately. I even tried making a copy of the disc and the same thing happens.

I then tried the Upgrade option on the CD from Windows, all the windows bit does fine, but when it restarts, it does the loading bar accross the middle, and when the actual screen should come pack on, it just freezes on a black screen.

I have tried every combination of settings in the BIOS and nothing made any difference.

I can't afford to format the machine as there is lots of stuff on there that I can't back up, and, judging from this, it may not install anyway.

System - http://atomnet.co.uk/?p=systems#Andromeda

Any ideas?

Cheers,
NS

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    something is stopping the install, i'm guessing bad ram as i believe that when it reaches the "setup is starting windows" part, you're using a ram drive. can you swap out ram? also it could be a dead mothreboard battery, i had similar symptoms once, it turned out the battery was at fault.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Could be RAM, just had to take out 128MB due to it being faulty, hope the other RAM isn't faulty.........

NS
  • edited October 2003
    NS - Try a different video card. XP install has a problem with some Nivida based products. You can put the card back in after the install and all will be ok.
    edited October 2003
    I just put the V3 which was sat on the side in the machine and wayhay, it works.

Cheers Canuck.

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    voodoo3?
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Virge 3 I think... either way, OLD! :p
    edited October 2003
    Voodoo 3. I was saving it for my Amiga. Either way it is useful to keep around.

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan
    adds "switch the video card" to his bag of tricks
    sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    adds "switch the video card" to his bag of tricks