Have a normal app use a Proxy Server?

DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
I want to use VNC to connect to my home computer from school.

Here's the setup:

Home - Router - Internet - Proxy Server - School Network - School Comp

I have my router set up to forward everything. My problem is since the school started using a proxy instead of an internet connection, I can't connect to VNC any more.

I know I've heard of things that "proxify" normal internet applications. VNCViewer is a pretty basic program and has no option of using a proxy. How can I get VNCViewer to use the school's proxy server? I think it's a typical HTTP proxy but im not quite sure.

Comments

• JahyaJahya Virginia
    edited November 2003
    A proxy is just a gateway/firewall that all data passes through. You would have to have whomever owns teh proxy network add your machine as a WINS entry for permissions to use the proxy to pass into the schools systems/network.

If it's a free open proxy, you can make your whole system use that proxy. In IE goto tools: internet options, then connections tab, then click the lan settings button. Check "use a proxy server yadada" and enter the proxy servers information including the port. Restart IE or your system and try to open yahoo or something.

Just a warning though, your school probly uses a proxy to forbid certain web site accesses and to controll bandwidth. You may have limited internet access and speed.

Hope this helps.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited November 2003
    Although this may complicate things for you, but as a last result (if you cannot get qualified access through the proxy) you could encrypt the data using ssl and I believe the proxy won't be able to do much of anything to prevent the transmission (loophole in w2k server).

Not 100% certain, and I haven't personally done this, but we did setup a work forum once that used this and it worked great. I know there's sources on the internet for setting up ssl connections.
  • JahyaJahya Virginia
    edited November 2003
    You could, but the proxy would moniter the packet. If anyone was watching, they'd ban your IP.... I would.. hehehe.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by Jahya
    You could, but the proxy would moniter the packet. If anyone was watching, they'd ban your IP.... I would.. hehehe.

Works in my company because there's waay too many secure apps (banking) to bother watching. :D