Bad graphic anomalies

NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
edited June 2004 in Hardware
I just got this refurbed Sapphire Ati 9700 Atlantis Pro Ultimate
and evry once in a while i get these anomalies.
2inch checkered strips across the desktop 2inches apart from eachother
Now I noticed the back part of the heatsink was a tad loose, but the screws where tightened. I figured I'll take it off and see if i can adjust it so the heatsink is snug. No sooner I take it off, the heatpipe the runs from the front to the back side ( see link for pic) has artic silver 3 on it :rolleyes: . Now I'm 100% sure that if there's AS3 on the heatpipe, then there's AS3 on the GPU. Also the AS3 has somehow made some sort of contact or bridged a connection with another part and is causing these anomalies. I shut the pc off, unplug the psu from the wall, wait a minute or 2 and fire back up and clears right up.

I'm gonna have to take it completely apart, clean off the AS3 with my electronics parts cleaner spray :D , add some artic silver ceramique and hope the problem clears up.

Dang how I hate when this happens. AS3 on a refurbed part :mad:

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2003
    Means they accepted the return and then just resold it, probably with minimal or no testing at all.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    Means they accepted the return and then just resold it, probably with minimal or no testing at all.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly :rolleyes: . They would've known it had AS3, they would'nt have accepted it.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited December 2003
    Well , took her apart and found the AS3 was all over the place and not only the gpu :rolleyes: Did a complete overhaul. Used CRC QD electronic spray to clean off all the AS3 from the card and all the other spots, blast of air and she was good as new. Some ceramique on the gpu, put it all together and she's purrring along nicely without any anomalies. Problem solved :D
  • edited December 2003
    Making a similar post now about my HIS ATI 9700

Have had this problem before and RMAed the card now have the same problem again.
  • edited June 2004
    Heh, i had the EXACT same problem with my 9700 pro, every so often in game or on desktop i would get weird lines or pixellation, it wasnt my monitor, it was a poor heatsink, eventually the card fried but i sent it to Ati and they sent me a brand spankin new 9800 pro, tho they did not tell me what was wrong with the 9700. When you email their tech support, include a screenshot of the problem, im gonna check and see if i still have mine and you can see if its like what you had.
  • edited June 2004