DV Cameras?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
I am allowed to spend $300 on a DV Camera or a good Digi Cam of some sort. I REALLy need one and one that doesn't suck is preferable. ;)

I know you guys will help as best as possible. I need this for my Digital Media work and I am super busy ATM doing some projects, so I can't easily get the time to go around the net looking up this info cuase I would have to spend a couple hours at least doing so.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Ohh yeah forgot to add that I know about the sticky thread on Digital Cameras, but I am told i should get a DV Camera or some crap like that ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    well digital cameras are generally still camera and DV cameras are Digital Video cameras... So, you're talking about two different things here.

I hate to say it, but $300 isn't really much to spend on a digital video cam... you're gonna get a very low end one. If you can find a way to spend a bit more, you can get a pretty good one: The Sony DCR-TRV350, which we were talking about in [link=http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5831]this thread[/link].
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    hrm.. I'll see if I can look into that, how is the Still pictures though? For the kind of prices thrown around for DV Cameras I would think it should be pretty damned good still.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    most of the time the still pics on a DV cam are for crap, honestly.. They suck.
  • edited November 2003
    they really suck at still pictures cause they effective pixel is less than 1 megapixel on most - that price range is more towards a high 8 rather than the miniDV camcorder.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    most of the time the still pics on a DV cam are for crap, honestly.. They suck.

yeah I agree. I have a 2.1mpx digicam and when I got my Sony TRV250 I said "oh geez, I dont even need this anymore" but when I saw the quality of the still pics on the video camera I was glad I still had my digital camera, takes great pics. As for the camera, it takes really great video, but it's no good for still pics. The still feature HAS come in handy for some things I will admit, like if I'm gonna want a still shot in a movie, lot easier than busting out the digicam and also it ends up right on the tape where I want it so I can pull it off the camera when I'm editing, but it's not good if you just wanna take some pictures.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say

I hate to say it, but $300 isn't really much to spend on a digital video cam... you're gonna get a very low end one. If you can find a way to spend a bit more, you can get a pretty good one: The Sony DCR-TRV350, which we were talking about in [link=http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5831]this thread[/link].

On this note, the TRV250, the Camera I have, is IDENTICAL to the TRV350, except that the 350 has "Memory Stick" (who needs this? as we already said, DV cameras can't take good stills, and if you use the "mpeg capture" feature you can only store a couple minutes, if that, on the memory stick...thats why video cameras use TAPE in the first place..) and it has "SuperNightShot" which just has a stronger IR transmitter for picking up things farther away in 0 light situations, the 250 has the regular NightShot feature, and if you really want, you can buy an adapter that adds an external IR transmitter that lets you do like 100ft or something)

I think the camera might also have some better onboard editing/effects and stuff built into it, but personally I have no use for it, editing directly on the camera as you film is a royal pain in the arse, much easier to do after you transfer to the computer.

Has all the outputs you want; svideo out, composite out, iLink (FireWire) and USB2 connectivity.

AND the TRV250 is only $400, pretty damn good price for a camera of this quality. I love mine.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    What media does it use to store the Digital Video?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    If it's Sony then it will be their Memory sticks, rather than cheaper and more easily available Flash media like CF or SD. As they like to be gay like that.

NS
  • edited November 2003
    RWB had this to say
    What media does it use to store the Digital Video?

digital8

basic review
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hmm.... nice to know it doesn't use Memory Sticks, but on the other hand, that review pretty much says the camera sucks =/

NS