"TV Tuner Card Initilization Failed" AverMedia, win 98,me,2k,xp

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited January 2004 in Hardware
My Avermedia 350 Tv Tuner and Fm Tuner Card now has brought this error on all os, windows 98 me 2000 and XP, anyone know why this is?

It used to work good, maybe it could be a pci slot problem?

It worked at first on xp but not anymore, and doesnot even work at all on the other 3 systems, but it used to a month or so ago many installs (os installs) back, maybe somthing was different like the pci slot location, I don't know.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2003
    PCI slot location could solve it, especially if it's in the top/shared (with AGP) slot.

Otherwise I wouldn't know off-hand what is causing it.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited December 2003
    Okay, it is not in the top pci slot (nothing is because of no room, except for added game controller which is small and has a wire to plug in elsewhere) It IS in the second PCI though, and just to let you know I have all the pci slots full (5) 1 of them being things with wire instead of actually plugging into the slots due to space problem and the availability of parts so actually only 4 that plug into pci slots.
    0-not plugged into slot- usb expansion
    AGP- fx 5600
    1-not plugged into slot- game controller
    2-Avermedia 350 Tv/FM Tuner card
    3-game controller expansion
    4-Creative 6.1 surround sound card
    5-Maxtor hard drive adapter ata 133
    edited January 2004
    dang, I was hoping for a response. Problem STILL EXISTS!:( :mad::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::(
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by yagga
    dang, I was hoping for a response. Problem STILL EXISTS!:( :mad::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::(

You think maybe it went bad? It is after all an electronic device and they do go bad for unknown reasons.
    edited January 2004
    ...WOW that was quick!, no it didn't go bad, I got it working today after fresh win 2k install untill I did the first reboot after the software was installed. Don't know why this is so difficult, but do know its some software related issue.

Tried fixes:
    1---used emailed "special" update link not found on website, errors installing updated stuff
    2---multiple updates from website, some worked some time sort of, 1 other program manages to get it to work, but it is an old outdated cheesy program by the looks and controls. The program I need to work is Ultra TV, the other cheesy one is Aver Studio.
    3---searched web, found NOTHING
    4---searched web sites help/tech area, found NOTHING
    5---requested support, has not explained problem, onlysaid to get updated software from here "********".

P.S. Both programs overlap in the form of powering up and use of remote, Aver Studio is dominent and Ultra gives errors. Also, a new error that now appears is:
    "AVerTV.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

And error log is being created." ---this is in windows 2000
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Hmmmmm, I have a feeling those 2 particular programs don't run together. Is there someway to use a different program that does the same thing for that hardware? I know it could be dificult, but it's a shot in the dark. Or how about trying a different version of the same program?

I'm sry i'm not familiar with Tv Tuner and Fm Tuner Cards as i've never used one except for the ATi AIW i had some time ago.

Sry i can't be of more help.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited January 2004
    I used to have an Avermedia TV card and it never really worked too well for me. I found the Avermedia TV software to be aweful and was always crashing, seemingly with a randomly generated error message, I never got the same one twice!! I still own the card, but its in a cardbord box, which is where its staying. I went and bought another TV, far less stressful. :D
    edited January 2004
    yeah, well, i guess i'll use the old cheesy software that is meant for another tv tuner of theres, but I'll never buy another avermedia card, even on rebates ;) , I cannot find another version of the Ultra TV software. Now, when you said you went out and got a new tv, musch less stressful, did you mean a new tv card, or an actual new tv that you set close to computer?

Just to let you know, the cheesy version seems to have an easier interface (I don't have to extend windows in 3 different directions to do anything everytime I want to do something like change channel or volume), but its extras are not very advanced, take for example the ability to record things, like radio music. I can only record to one folder, and one thing to only one file name (randomly made), whereas it should create a new file everytime. It also only records at a lesser quality (which is still supposedly better than cd, but I don't have a choice, it even lets me record in "mono phone quality", now that's a joke!

I would still like to hear anyone voice somthing here if they desire.

P.S. The thing is... I don't really care about the television that much, since it is only analog, and didn't work hardly at all with a great cable connection, and it screws my internet splitting the cable line so much, I just want the radio and the ability to record the radio, I have got the best speakers in the house on my computer, and although they aren't digital or the best, they sound sweet, and clear! and are 6.1 with bass. Its just so much better when you can listen to music on the computer. I think this would probably need a new thread, but are there any fm tuners out there, just fm, maybe am as well? I have searched a little, only to find OLLLLLD isa slot ones, and only a couple.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited January 2004
    Do you have "IRQ for VGA" enable in bios? if not, try that.
    Most TV tunners/capture cards need an extra IRQ to work.

Good luck!
    edited January 2004
    I do not know. ~~~on it, maybe...:rolleyes:

New Plan, I have "gotten rid of that god-forsaken card" from my better computer, I will see if it works in my old one, but the speakers are crap, if it works I'll keep it there, if not, it is going to rest. In any case, I am hunting for a new card.

Any one know if Win TV cards are good? And I mean in ALL aspects including drivers, software, hardware, features, price, etc. I see two that come with fm tuner. They are the WinTV-dbx with stereo TV, FM radio and remote control, CompUSA #50033314, brand Hauppauge for $80.69. And also the Win TV-GO FM Radio, CompUSA #50129747, brand Hauppauge for $66.29. I personally like the better one because of remote and I think the sound is better? I'll check into that, and it's less than 15 bucks more.
  • AcidicDreamsAcidicDreams Oregon
    edited January 2004
    ATI!!!! get an ati TVwonder... there is no comparision
    edited January 2004
    ok, but I needed the fm tuner as well which those do not have. Lead tek is another company, the Expert Edition seems okay. Any ideas.