Dream Gaming System

edited February 2004 in Hardware
I am getting a review done by PC GAmer for a gaming system. *I sell computers, like Alienware ETC, we are better in performance than Alienware,etc and also cheaper too, like in hundreds of dollars* Anyways, Below are the specs of the system, fellow friends, please provide your opinions and any suggestions on changes for parts to get the BEST preformance/price ratio.

I do not know which case should I go with, either a Antec Case that looked like Alienwares a long time ago, with a side window, or Cooler Master TAC-T01-EK All Aluminum Mid Tower Black Case or Antec Aluminum Mid-Tower P160 with Side Window

Processor: AMD Athlon FX-51
CPU Heatsink: Thermaltake Venus 12 High-Performance Cooler W/Artec Silver 5
Motherboard: Asus SK8V
Video Card: Ati Radeon 9800XT 256MB
Memory: 1GB Corsair PC3200 CAS 2 XMS
Storage: 2x Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10K 8MB Cache SATA Raid Config
Sound Card: Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Optical Drive: Lite-On 48x24x48 + 16x DVD Combo & DVD Writer
Removable Media: Samsung Floppy
Modem: Creative Labs Blaster V.92:confused::confused:

Comments

• edited January 2004
    I got about until Monday, that is when I release the spces with PC GAMER and get the system built.
  • edited January 2004
    My god... Will anyone here provide advice for creating a Dream GAming System????????????????
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited January 2004
    I would agree that is indeed a dream gaming system. How much does that come in at? Whats the closest thing available from your competitors? I assume you have made sure your cheaper? Good luck with the review, that could men some serious sales is PC Gamer give you a good write up.

Does anyone who games need a 56k modem?
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited January 2004
    http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/aurora_ddr.aspx

AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor
    1GB Registered DDR SDRAM PC-3200
    120GB Seagate Serial ATA 8MB Cache
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Price: $3,221.00

OUCH!!!! Im guessin ya can beat that then....
  • edited January 2004
    Yes I can! Do you guys have any suggestions about any component I should get? I was going to go for the FX5950 but then, I looked over the benchmarks, the 9800XT is still better!!! =P so, what sould I do? Also, I was thinking of adding a new concept to consumer computers, BOOT WINDOWS WITHIN 5 SECONDS!

I would have a internal 1GB USB 2.0 Pen Drive. The OS would be installed on it. Then would that not dramtically increase loado time, since it can read at 7.8MB/S? Or should the Dual WD RAptor 36.7GB 10K SATA in a RAID be good already? Is the Corsair the best memory? Or should I go with Mushkin? Also, how many cold cathodes should I put? I think two? Or just one?
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited January 2004
    so . . . who is the girl in your avatar again?
  • edited January 2004
    Windows looks crappy.. Put it in a decent looking aluminium case thats nice and quiet and you should be set.
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited January 2004
    I would add an Antec 550 true power p/s with sata connectors
    An additional dvd rom to copy from.
    At least a 19 inch crt monitor
    optical mouse
    make the 56 k optional (not everyone has cable or dsl access)me
  • AcidicDreamsAcidicDreams Oregon
    edited January 2004
    corsair and mushkin are both good, if your going to make this a major business you will want to pick one, stick with it and get the associated discounts. Also make the 56k optional, who wants to play on the worlds nicest gaming machine that uses a 56k, and if isn't used it can only cause problems (however unlikely that may be who knows) also for a monitor the viewsonic E series is really nice but it's DEEP, of course it's also CHEAP for such a nice looking monitor. umm... you'll also need to get a storage drive in there... how about a 120-250 gb Sata drive, it doesn't need to be fast but who's going to buy a $2500+ computer and only use 36.7gb of software. ohh and the second DVD is VERY important. Also don't forget to get the Audigy ZS gamer retail so you get the nice game bundle for free, it'll make the system more attractive. umm.... Logitech MX500 for mouse w/ generic black KB, and make the wireless MX duo optional. Ummm.... ohh yah don't forget speakers in there... make the base system like a logitech 5pc surrond like the z-640. They are cheap (~100 retail), sound great and beat anything in the price range, then include an option for a Klipsch 5.1. Ummm... anything else? don't forget an Ethernet card and lots of USB ports. Ohh and on that flash drive bootable thing.. just be happy with the raid 0 setup.... it'll be plenty fast since you still have to POST and go through the RAID card boot the time saved by using a flash drive would be pointless.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by drowd
    so . . . who is the girl in your avatar again?
    Very nice.....sooooooo?
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    That's the famous "UPS Girl". She's all over the net. Verrrry nice indeed! She can deliver her package anytime ;):D

Back to the topic: Yes, that's a nice system for gaming. I've been outta the AMD loop for a bit so I can't say for certain the cpu is a winner. Evrything else is a-o-k.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited January 2004
    I used to subscribe the the UK version of PC Gamer. All the system reviews i saw in that when I had it were a little too brief, and didnt really go into benchmarking and such. They seemed to spend more time on the asthetic side of the systems, rather than looking 'under the hood' of the machine, so this is something you should try to get right.
    Not too sure that the pen drive thing would work too well, or if it does, will it not me more than an expensive gimmic?

Id say that your best bet is matching or beating the Alienware system specs wise, and then beatin it price wise. Ideally you will be looking for the closing line of their review to read 'performance as good as or better than alienware, price def better'. If you can manage this, you will def be onto a winner IMO.

let us know...
  • edited January 2004
    I will keep you guys posted on everything for the system. Even provide images of the system once it is asembled :) Also, so what case do you guys think I should use? Its in the first post!
    edited January 2004
  • edited January 2004
    Any other guys that can suggest a case too? Thanx Neb.
    edited January 2004
    Np, I thought a nice coolermaster would be real nice. Evrybody else i know would've suggested a Lian Li, but to me that's pretty much played out.
  • verselloversello New
    edited January 2004
    Lian-Li is ace, especially the originals. I don't really like the new Coolermaster cases, especially that one "wave master" case.

/me drools over http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000010/en_US/prd_1192.jpg
  • edited January 2004
    Thats a nice case, but its not a BAM WHAM COOL case... like it does not attact the Eye, it looks like a fridge! I am going to attach some pix of the cases, and see what you guys think?
  • edited January 2004
    #1)

compGamingGrey.jpg

#2)

11-119-030-05.JPG

#3)

11-133-116-01.JPG

:confused:
  • verselloversello New
    edited January 2004
    The beauty of lian-li is its elegance (same thing goes for the original Cooler Masters).

Some people like the wave master, some people don't. If you're considering Cooler Master as an option, at least use the case that made them famous: http://www.cooler-master.com/case/products/atc110.html

About those Antec/Chieftec cases... yeah, try going to a LAN party. Every other person has one ;) And #3 is fugly. Built one for a client (his choice...).
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I dunno, that coolermaster is a sweeeeet case, but people not just love but insist on options. So pick one case to be the standard and If you can, offer other cases.
  • edited January 2004
    Ok, I have came to a conclusion, I am using the Cooler MAster Wave with a Window and here are some PIX of it :D Looks good eh?

422ec180001fe515c751c717b22cb8e7.jpg

e5f38f6691a4ed6a5c3962a230bc4edc.jpg

3acd0ff92a072777dc88585ed63605b8.jpg

07acff7a5c135b33394fd8c393f06db5.jpg

e845c74613d15f9f2b3687069f4e5cad.jpg

445e6eaa98f3daf69b98114e5663b557.jpg

36c8e0cc4210c315c74079ac7d1673b2.jpg

bb63a32856c41ee192b34c6ea45d86ea.jpg

a50486d4f49623a3362ebed9b976a663.jpg
  • edited January 2004
    *droolz* haha, you guys agree thats its perfect?
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited January 2004
    Yea, id say thats very nice, how much is that?

Just out of interest, you are supplying a machine for PC Gamer to review... Do you just give them it? Or do you get it back. Im assuming they keep it, thats a pretty big expense for a small company to cover isnt it?
  • edited February 2004
    the case is ganna cost around $190 with the window. No, they do not keep the system so, dont worry! hehe...

Now also, This is where I need expert advice, how can I MAX OVERLOCK the 9800XT and also keep it Stable, and also the Corsair XMS, should I get the Platinum version? Is there a performance increase or is it just the looks compared to the black XMS?

Also, I am going to have the window etched with this logo:

Untitled-1.gif

And I am getting case badges that look like this

caseba.gif
  • edited February 2004
    You need more storage. 2 raptors aint gonna cut it. have a 3rd drive thats around 200GB in size.
  • edited February 2004
    hmmm... You sure? Thats about 148GB of space....
  • antthisantthis Bowling Green ky
    edited February 2004
    You can never had too much hd space The Recycle Bin should never be use!!! of course not everyone one has 1TB of storage lol
  • edited February 2004
    haha, the HDD's are ganna cost about $500 you know that? LOL
  • edited February 2004
    Ok guys, I really need some tip/suggestions though, for the best Performance:

Since you know im going to use the SK8V mobo, I will use Corsair PC3200 ECC XMS Platimum (2 Sicks of 512MB). What timings should I use and any overlock'n tips for the memory?

Also, the video card, the Asus 9800XT 256. Any tips for overclock'n this BaBy?