TI4600 and DVI

edited July 2004 in Hardware
So several months ago I bought an lcd monitor and after playing with refresh rates. I start seeing red dots all over my screen even outside of windows. So I panic and figure I broke my monitor. I eventually decided to just go back to my old monitor and left my lcd sitting in the corner. Now back in the day I flashed my geforce 2 and it made it faster so a few weeks ago I started looking around for the Geforce 4 bios ( I have a TI4600). Nvidia bioses are harder to find than they used to be, but I finally found a few and by the newest bios it said something along the lines of "fixes ti4600 dvi port problem with certain lcd monitors". So I flashed my card with this new bios yesterday and hooked up my old lcd. I used my lcd monitor for almost the entire day yesterday, and so far no more red dots.

I just figured I'd share this in case anyone else had had problems. I had never heard of this before, I guess Nvidia didn't feel like making it widespread knowledge that there was a problem with the TI4600 that required a bios flash to fix. On the downside though I think the new bios makes my card run hotter because I can't overclock it as much as I used to. So don't do it unless you have a need to.

Comments

• drowddrowd Texas
    edited February 2004
    heh, i remember when you thought you broke your shiny new lcd. you were pissed off. good thing it got fixed :D
  • edited July 2004
    So several months ago I bought an lcd monitor and after playing with refresh rates. I start seeing red dots all over my screen even outside of windows. So I panic and figure I broke my monitor. I eventually decided to just go back to my old monitor and left my lcd sitting in the corner. Now back in the day I flashed my geforce 2 and it made it faster so a few weeks ago I started looking around for the Geforce 4 bios ( I have a TI4600). Nvidia bioses are harder to find than they used to be, but I finally found a few and by the newest bios it said something along the lines of "fixes ti4600 dvi port problem with certain lcd monitors". So I flashed my card with this new bios yesterday and hooked up my old lcd. I used my lcd monitor for almost the entire day yesterday, and so far no more red dots.

I just figured I'd share this in case anyone else had had problems. I had never heard of this before, I guess Nvidia didn't feel like making it widespread knowledge that there was a problem with the TI4600 that required a bios flash to fix. On the downside though I think the new bios makes my card run hotter because I can't overclock it as much as I used to. So don't do it unless you have a need to.

Hi there
    Saw your thread and found out that this is my actual problem.
    Please tell me where to find working BIOS along with flashing instructions.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    bjed,

sleepstalker hasnt been around in a while, but he is a good friend of mine. i will see if he can dig up that bios for you. in addition, i believe this was a fairly documented problem, so you might wanna try searching the net, and i will search too and see what i can come up with :D

EDIT:// aight, i searched for this "nvidia bios flash dvi problem lcd" in google and the first thing that came up was this link http://whitebunny.demon.nl/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

about 60 percent down the page you can see the bios and it talks all about it

"4.25.00.37 is reported to fix a LCD flat panel with DVI interface problem ("system boot screens and similar non-native screens were simply not displayed reliably although they could sometimes be obtained by power cycling the monitor")"
  • edited July 2004
    drowd wrote:
    bjed,

sleepstalker hasnt been around in a while, but he is a good friend of mine. i will see if he can dig up that bios for you. in addition, i believe this was a fairly documented problem, so you might wanna try searching the net, and i will search too and see what i can come up with :D

EDIT:// aight, i searched for this "nvidia bios flash dvi problem lcd" in google and the first thing that came up was this link http://whitebunny.demon.nl/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

about 60 percent down the page you can see the bios and it talks all about it

"4.25.00.37 is reported to fix a LCD flat panel with DVI interface problem ("system boot screens and similar non-native screens were simply not displayed reliably although they could sometimes be obtained by power cycling the monitor")"

Thank´s drowd but I´ve done the google-trick and yes, I´ve been to most of these sites.
    I even tried to verify the chip - couldn´t do that since the HSF couldn´t be dismounted............due to GPU seems to be glued.
    I would´ve edited the BIOS-file if only I could run Windows. Is there any other way to edit BIOS-files ?

I´m stuck !

Several hours trying to fix this last night makes me mad and annoyed.
    Gonna´ make a three days holiday trip with my family to charge my batteries.

Please keep thinking and keep sending tips !
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    doesnt it do it off of a boot disk? or no? also, do you have any spare monitors you could hook up or borrow from someone else if you need to get to windows?
  • edited July 2004
    Back in business again after some days of relaxing.

Please keep on posting !