Kuma/War, Paying to experience real events thru video games?

edited February 2004 in Gaming
I had never heard of this game coming out called Kuma War before today. I don't expect much from it but the idea is interesting. It's a war game in which you participate in real missions that happened, including the capture of Saddam and the killing of his sons. Players will have to pay monthly to have new missions based on news from around the world delivered to them. I haven't seen how much it costs yet, but I'm guessing it will be around $10 or $15 a month like an mmo. It can be played single or multiplayer. The beta is available to Fileplanet members now; so I'll probably be trying it out this weekend. I wonder how many people are willing to pay monthly to get a glimpse of what real warfare in Iraq was like?

Comments

• edited February 2004
    I wonder if it will have the friendly fire and kids throwing grenades at convoys..

This sounds like a complete piss-take to me.. No game will ever be able to recreate a realistic, shit scary, dirty and bloody war.

Its going to be a bad game too, with some pretend developer trying to cash in on the war in Iraq. That said, Tony Blair and George Bush have done the exact same thing....

Back to the gameplay...

Its not as if you will have any tank battles or air to air dog fighting. Maybe people will enjoy taking pot shots at Challenger 2s from A-10s and driving over mines in M1A1s :)

I'd rather play OFP though... Real game, real developer, and LOTS of options.
  • edited February 2004
    Like I said before I don't expect it to be very good myself. It wouldn't surprise me at all though if it took off though. I know there are lots of people who bought Conflict Desert Storm just because they saw the commercials on tv and they wanted to chase Saddam themselves. My fear is that if this game is successful, we might end up seeing a wave of "Reality Gaming" come about.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I'll probably dl it and give it a try (well when my net is back up tues >:| ).

-Aranyic