UT2K4 released extra buggy?

edited March 2004 in Gaming
I just bought UT2K4 yesterday, could not wait to play. Ran and installed it (all 6 discs :eek: ) and tried to play, and got this:
Critical Error:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]
CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1405 MHz with 1279MB RAM
Video: No Video
General protection fault!
History: UGUIStyles::DrawText <- (STY2TextLabel Package.STY2TextLabel) <- UGUISectionBackground::Draw <- UGUIMultiComponent::DrawControls <- (UT2K4SPTab_Qualification Package.UT2K4SPTab_Qualification) <- GUIMultiComponent::Draw <- (UT2K4SPTab_Qualification Package.UT2K4SPTab_Qualification) <- UGUPanel::Draw <- (UT2K4SPTab_Qualification Package.UT2K4SPTab_Qualification) <- GUITabControl::Draw <- (GUITabControl Package.GUITabControl) <- UGUIMultiComponent::DrawControls <- (UT2K4SP_Main Package.UT2K4SP_Main) <- GUIMultiComponent::Draw <- (UT2K4SP_Main Package.UT2K4SP_Main) <- GUIPage::Draw <- (UT2K4SP_Main Package.UT2K4SP_Main) <- GUIController::NativePostRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPostRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Anyone have any idea's of what I can do? I tried running the game in safemode with everything disabled, and then the game wont even get past the splash screen.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Make sure you're up to date with your video drivers and DirectX. Also, check yout UT2004.ini in the system folder of the UT2004 directory to make sure it's set to RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice under [Engine.Engine].

It should look like this:

[Engine.Engine]
    RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
    ;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    video drivers
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Could be bad memory too. Or a dying video card. Don't rule out hardware.

check your memory

www.memtest.org
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Wel, prime, ol' buddy... I figured you'd come through with the memtest link, so I was saving that for you. :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    You can count on me! :)
  • Lincoln-ImpLincoln-Imp Lincoln, England
    edited March 2004
    judging by the error 'no video' i would suggest making sure your Video drivers/ DirectX drivers etc are all upto date...

failing that try installing in a different CD or DVD ROM
  • edited March 2004
    It was one of the 2 128MB sticks of RAM. The reason I thought it was something game related is because A LOT of people have been getting the same type of errors.