AMD 64 Cooling Question

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hey all, need some recommendations for cooling an AMD 64 3200 chip.

I haven't bought it yet, but will be shortly. My one question is, in the retail box it comes with a heatsink/fan. If I'm not overclocking, I'm assuming this will be adequate? Or should I get a new one anyway ?

Basically I'm running a AMD 2400XP at the moment with I think its a Vantec Copper Heatsink on it. The fan I have on there (which came with the copper heatsink) whirrrs so damn loud it is annoying. So I DO NOT want to use this heatsink on my new chip when I get it. I want something quiet that does the job.

I'm getting the "MSI K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8T Neo-FIS2R" as per recommended here. So the heatsink will need to fit on that.

Basically to summarize, I am NOT overclocking, just want something quiet and that will do the job. If the retail heatsink/fan included in the processor does it then great, if not, I'd love some recommendations on a nice cheap quiet heatsink/fan combo.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    First off you cant use socket A heatsinks on A64's the one that comes with it will work just fine if you arent ocing. If that wont satisfy you get this

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_154&products_id=1323&osCsid=94a35b7198ec5eee0e1a6c377a360ffa
  • edited April 2004
    Thanks Gnome, you were actually the person you convinced me to buy the MSI mobo too lol.

I think I'll just go with the retail since you say it will be fine. Just a question, is it loud though?
    edited April 2004
    pretty silent!
  • edited April 2004
    Thanks again gnome, you've been a big help so far with everything. By the way, what part of Florida are you from? I'm located in the Orlando area right now.
    edited April 2004
    I am 2hrs south of you in Port St lucie

If you dont like the performance of that fan get what i am thinking of upgrading too the swiftecA64 cooler at www.performance-pcs.com I have the thermalright That i showed you earlier but i duno that swifty is tempting. I just emailed Hank the owner to see what he says.
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2004
    I just got this Zalman HSU http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=59509&PHPSESSID=7a76e602c82d8ad77a9002e8965c915c

It's nearly dead-silent :D variable fan control is pretty cool too.
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2004
    Lianad wrote:
    Hey all, need some recommendations for cooling an AMD 64 3200 chip.

I haven't bought it yet, but will be shortly. My one question is, in the retail box it comes with a heatsink/fan. If I'm not overclocking, I'm assuming this will be adequate? Or should I get a new one anyway ?

Basically I'm running a AMD 2400XP at the moment with I think its a Vantec Copper Heatsink on it. The fan I have on there (which came with the copper heatsink) whirrrs so damn loud it is annoying. So I DO NOT want to use this heatsink on my new chip when I get it. I want something quiet that does the job.

I'm getting the "MSI K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8T Neo-FIS2R" as per recommended here. So the heatsink will need to fit on that.

Basically to summarize, I am NOT overclocking, just want something quiet and that will do the job. If the retail heatsink/fan included in the processor does it then great, if not, I'd love some recommendations on a nice cheap quiet heatsink/fan combo.

Thanks in advance.

I just ordered that board too after Gnome mentioned it and it was cheaper than the Asus mobo I was originally going to get. I read some reviews on newegg tho that the MSI K8T800's HD LED doesn't work tho when hooked up to an SATA HD :|
  • ChemicalChildChemicalChild Canada
    edited September 2004
    I have the MSI K8N Neo board and with the IDE and SATA's hooked up no HD light comes either, when i unplug the IDE, lights show fine, now the K8T800 is a little different but could be the same problem
  • edited September 2004
    stock is fine, otherwise slk-948u ;]
  • edited October 2004
    Hey guys...i'm new to the forum...
    I just built an A64 system.
    AMD 64 3000+
    Asus K8V m/b
    80gb hd
    1gb PC2700 (would have been 3200 but had to use my old ram..not enough money)
    a poor but still kickin GeForce FX 5200 (Oc'd)
    ...well i was wondering is it normal for the a64's to run at 100+ degrees or 41+ degrees C?
    Cause it's kind of scaring me. All the other Amd's though they were older, started to overheat pretty bad when they hit about 110 degrees or so. but those were 800-1ghz machines.
    Another question is, do you think that a water cooling system would work well? because i plan on playin with this thing when i get the new ram and vid card.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    As far as I know several mobo manufactures are having issues dialing in the "calculated" temp for the 64's so check the asus website for bios upgrades and see if they have a forum that can get you some more "user" info on that mobo and any issues that it may have. Hope that helps! ;)

I have a 64 3000+ and as far as the mobo is concerned my temp is about 45C idle. As far as my thermalcouple and temp reader are concerned it is only about 34C. :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2004
    41C is totally normal and fine. You can even get up to 60C on load and you won't have any trouble. Granted ideally, you want around 35-40 idle, and probably 40-50C load. But you'll be fine at 60.

Totally normal.
  • edited October 2004
    yeah, thanks guys. Mine actually sits at 46 at idle. and 53 or so at load.
  • edited December 2004
    System:
    AMD64 3200
    MSI K8 Neo Plat (MS-7030 I think)

I am probably going to upgrade my HSU and after reading this I am torn between

the thermalright and the swiftech

Pro swift:
    included fan
    much lighter (440 w/ fan compared to 635g no fan)
    25db quiter or so (compared to recommended thermal fan)

Pro Thermal:
    much better air movement
    thermal grease included

so because the thermal still needs a fan their prices come out about the same, however I have no thermal grease so I would need to go drop 8 bucks for that at the computer store. Also I don't attend any LAN parties routinely so the weight might not matter at all, that just seems pretty heavy for hanging off the board sideways. Oh and

So any conclusions?

Thanks!
    edited December 2004
    thermalright is better than the swifty
  • edited March 2005
    I have an AMD 64 939 and in cmos it idles at about 53 or 54 c. I set it to warn me if it got above 60 and loaded windows and started it analyzing files for SETI@home. I got the temp warning about 30 seconds later. so my cpu is running over 60 when oly working reasonably hard.
  • edited March 2005
    I've been reading about A64 temps tonight after looking at how strange some of mine were/are 37 at idle then all the way up to 57 at load. Everything is seated properly and the cooler should be more than sufficient.

I'm going to try and only worry about temps when I start to get lockups and restarts. I've not gotten any with this machine or cooler ever so it must be doing its job or I would have known about it by now.

Here are a couple of the things I've been reading.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article191-page1.html
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1544748&STARTPAGE=1[/ul]
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/40957/

The silentpcreview article is the best, the others are random forum posts but its got me at least half convinced. That is until someone tells me I'm an idiot and my hardware is about to explode :D
  • edited March 2005
    I am looking for a reasonable cooling solution to use for my computer. Itsd not running that hot but when I add the other gforce 6800 and the 10000 rpm hard drives its gonna be smoking. The ambient temp in my case will jump a few degrees and since my processer runs at 60c when crunching numbers and such i think this will just make it to hot. I have TONNS of active cooling in my case (like 7 fans not including the board fans). I am running a 650 watt PSU so power is not an issue.

System:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939
    Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with D.P.S.
    650W PSU
    1 soon to be 2 nVidia 6800's
    2x WD740 10000 rpm SATA 150 Raptors
  • edited March 2005
    Get yourself a case that reflects the the hardware you have inside it and you should be ok..

Better than filling a cheap case up with fans.
  • edited March 2005
    rapture wrote:
    Get yourself a case that reflects the the hardware you have inside it and you should be ok..

Better than filling a cheap case up with fans.

I have a monster case. it cost like $200 and its huge. i have a modular PSU with all the cables bound and pulled to the side and there is a shitload of airspace and venting. It is a fulltower ATX
  • edited March 2005
    Ah cool then you're set. Get yourself a couple of these for the video cards if you are worried about heat or noise.

What have you got cooling the CPU?
  • edited March 2005
    Just the stock crap. not sure how to change the heatsinc and everything on the comp. just built it a few days ago and before that i had an athlon 950. and i never had to change the heatsync before
  • edited March 2005
    im kindof an expert amature. i understand everything but it is my second computer to build myself. Im a quick learner though. thanks for the help rapture
  • edited March 2005
    hey peeps wuzzup! wut temps r u runng at me gotti 3000 64 mad and it run 100f degrees after 45 mins of half life 2 and stable able check mutherbrd alarm warning levels in bios options to fixy chip safe to 155f degreez no prob plus me bios auoto overclock 200 mgegahertzy me no undertand prob with heater chip
  • edited March 2005
    I have a problem. I have been looking at cooling solutions for my amd64 3500+ but I am using a gigabyte board. GA-K8NXP-SLI and the dual power chip (which is badass btw) sits next to the processer and im afraid i cant fit a bigger heatsink. any ideas. I need some serious cooling but it has to be smallish. money is not too big a factor because this takes top priority right now
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Have ya thought about water cooling?
  • edited April 2005
    I dont have the faintest idea on how to set it up but it sounds really hard
  • edited April 2005
    They have a few companies that make complete self-contained watercooling kits if you want to try it out, melvinbaker. Koolance makes a good kit from what I've heard.