Folding History Questions and Answers

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
I am wondering about Folding History. When did this start? Was there an older folding thing going on before the present one? How long do you think this one will continue? Do you think folding will live on passed this one? I pretty much want to know how long I will probably be folding for, months, a year, years, a decade, what?

edit/ Apparantly no one knows nuthin? :loco:

Comments

• edited May 2004
    yagga wrote:
    I am wondering about Folding History. When did this start? Was there an older folding thing going on before the present one? How long do you think this one will continue? Do you think folding will live on passed this one? I pretty much want to know how long I will probably be folding for, months, a year, years, a decade, what?

edit/ Apparantly no one knows nuthin? :loco:

yagga, folding has been going on since around the year 2000, if I remember right. There was a version before the present system called Folding@Home 1, in which the points accumulated by it didn't roll over into the present system. I guess it was kind of a trial run. As far as the future, the plan is to have the project indefinitely, AFAIK. Vijay and the rest of his gang at Stanford are really making large strides in the understanding of both computer modeling of the folding process and also are making some actual inroads into what is actually happening when proteins fold.

Hope this helps you understand the project a little better. :)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    As long as there are diseases there will be folding!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    The first "general public" distributed computing project was Seti @ Home, which started around 1997 or 1998, I believe. It was cool because it showed the viability and potential of distributed computing and also got people interested in DC. Many people migrated to the F@H project because of a sense of "this is something useful here on earth, right now" and had more "real" implications and potential results than SETI.
  • edited May 2004
    When did the United Devices project start then? That was the first one I ever folded for. Had LOTS of problems with the client though so soon gave up. Wasnt long after I found out about the icrontic f@h team.