recover a dvd rom?

derekderek pollock pines, ca.
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i screwed up flashing the firmware on my cd-rw by flashing it to my dvd rom. i was sick and not thinking straight.
is there a way to clear the firmware on the dvd rom and reflash it with the correct firmware?
it does nothing anymore when it is plugged in.
btw it is a liteon ltd-166s

thanks, derek

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    If you're a little crazy, you could try this:

I did something similar years ago with a CDRW drive. In my case it was a flash which just hung. I went to bed and when I got up in the morning it still had the "Wait...Do Not Turn Off Your Computer" stuff on the screen and the progress indicator hadn't moved. I hit the reset button and the whole system took forever (well, about five minutes) to get through the bios drive detection section. It was like the MB knew that SOMETHING was on that channel, but couldn't decide just what it was. It never could fully boot with that drive attached.

I took an old system I had running in the corner and booted to a system disc with NO drives of any kind attached. I then hot-plugged the dud CDRW drive, then ran the firmware upgrade. It hesitated a while, probably because it couldn't determine what the previous (halfway-flashed) firmware was. I was then able to re-flash the firmware successfully.

I would suspect that this would not work in every situation, and told myself that I was just very very lucky. This was back when a 4X CDRW drive would set you back $200. If you've got an old board lying around and want to try it you might be as fortunate as I was. There is a chance that you'll not only fail to revive the drive, but blow out an IDE channel (or the whole daggone board) in the attempt. In my case I figured it was worth a shot, as the drive alone was worth eight times as much as the old MB I resurrected it in - kind of like an 8-to-1 shot coming in at the racetrack.

DO NOT try this in your main system, unless you're prepared to replace the whole shootin' match.

If I were you I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can help you. They might have more information specific to your particular brand. (Though I suspect that they will just tell you that you are screwed, it wouldn't hurt to ask). I would also see what advice others in this forum might be able to offer. The fact that what I described here worked for me does not mean that it is the only way - or the best way - to solve your problem.

Let us know how it turns out, and I hope you are feeling better.

Prof
    (The Gambler);)
  • derekderek pollock pines, ca.
    edited June 2003
    it was just a refurb from new egg anyways. maybe i will just get another one. sounds like its not worth the trouble.

derek
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    If the bios chip is removeable I know someone that has a eprom flasher that would do it.

Computer MB's are removeable but I have no idea on a dvd,

Tex
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    does it have to detect it properly to re-run the flash utility? if not, you could try the flash again.

~dodo
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    dodo said
    does it have to detect it properly to re-run the flash utility? if not, you could try the flash again.

~dodo

My problem was that with the mis-flashed "Mystery Drive" attached to the board I couldn't boot at all.

Guess you could call it a half-flashed situation.:D

Prof
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Check this place out. They may have a flash utility and new firmware for your drives.
    You should be able to recover the drive as long as you get the right firmware for it.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php