Modbin will not save my changes

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hello Tmod,
Lemme start by apologizing for abandoning you awhile back when I had the best of intentions in helping you out with biosmods.com while Binary was missing. I got drafted into a job with my company and, well I never was able to really get going like I wanted. I do have a question probably only you or Equito will know the answer to. Why on Earth can I not get modbin6 to save the settings I give it for the kd7_dn file? If I do it at the command prompt it looks like everythings going fine, but when i go back in none of my changes are there. If I do it in dos on a floppy disc it takes like 3-4 minutes for the file to load and then if freezes when I try to save the changes. Even using your modded bin file and the version of modbin I downloaded from your site this happens. Driving me nuts. Am I really missing something obvious here? I haven't done that much modding lately, but I know how and have done enough to know what I'm doing. It's become the principle of the thing, it's killing me not knowing why this is happening. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have searched through the threads here and didn't see anything on this.
Thanks,

Comments

• edited May 2004
    No need to apologize as we all have a life outside of computers. I am as guilty as anyone else as I pretty much have left the bios modding scene.

Anyway to answer your question have you tried saving it as a different file name? I tried changing a couple things and then saved the original file name and damn if it didn't save the changes. I then tried saving as a different name and it worked fine.

Let me know if it works for you.

Tmod
  • edited May 2004
    Thanks Man,
    I just felt kinda bad because I told you I would help. I will try saving the bin with a different name.
    Thanks,
  • edited June 2004
    That did work. Don't know why exactly. Ususally you can just overwrite the original. No biggie, but I wouldn't have guessed that.
    Thanks,
    >>>--Tiribulus->
  • edited June 2004
    I also have this problem,im trying to mod a ECS L7VMM2 bios to open up some hidden items,but it wont save them,i have changed the name,and every thing, i open the bios as l7vmm2.bin and save as l7vmm2b.bin and i get no changes,i made a fat32 partition on my hdd just for this software but cant make it change my settings.Any help would be great and also id like to program some more oc features into my bios,all i got now is up to 144mhz fsb i want to go up to 150 or 166 in steps,also is there any way to add soft menu III to my bios?
  • edited June 2004
    Daddy Root wrote:
    I also have this problem,im trying to mod a ECS L7VMM2 bios to open up some hidden items,but it wont save them,i have changed the name,and every thing, i open the bios as l7vmm2.bin and save as l7vmm2b.bin and i get no changes,i made a fat32 partition on my hdd just for this software but cant make it change my settings.Any help would be great and also id like to program some more oc features into my bios,all i got now is up to 144mhz fsb i want to go up to 150 or 166 in steps,also is there any way to add soft menu III to my bios?
    I don't think it's practically possible to add an entire feature set like that without some extraordinary specific skills and resources. What you see in modbin is what can be enabled. Tmod may know better, but I don't think so. As far as saving goes, try copying modbin amd the bios file to a bootable dos floppy and doing it there. This is the only time I've ever had the not saving changes issue, so I'm not sure what else to tell you.
    >>>--Tiribulus-> :)
  • edited June 2004
    Ok we got it fixed i think but now i have a nother problem,i used the new beta version to unlock all the settings then i save it and use the other version to check my settings and there all there and not corrupt,but when i try to flash my bios with winflash it says its not a bios rom file??? im saving them just how i got them.....as a bin file but it wont let me flash,what do i need to do to get it to flash?
  • edited June 2004
    I know how convenient winflash is, but I wouldn't use it personally. It's not that hard to flash the old fashioned way and I've never had one single issue over hundreds of bios flashes. The one time I tried winflash I wound up on the phone with Abit ordering a new chip though that was a while ago now. You can just make a dr dos boot disc from http://bootdisk.com/ stick awardflash and the bin file on it and do it that way. I bet that works. If not post back and I'll take a look at the file.
    >>>--Tiribulus->
  • edited June 2004
    I would like u to take a look at my bios file for me,i dont want to run the risk of killing this mobo >_< email me and ill send u the bios bin file.Thanks!
  • edited June 2004
    I pm'd you BTW dude.
    >>>--Tiribulus->
  • edited June 2004
    ygpm
  • edited July 2004
    Any news on this issue?
  • darkpepedarkpepe Member
    edited July 2004
    Same problem here, changes are not saved, no matter what filename I choose.
    Could thid be a NTFS related problem?
    The batch files on the sticky are not longer available (dead link)

Thanks, pepe
  • edited July 2004
    darkpepe wrote:
    Same problem here, changes are not saved, no matter what filename I choose.
    Could thid be a NTFS related problem?
    The batch files on the sticky are not longer available (dead link)

Thanks, pepe

Ok no excuses here, I screwed up and updated the file on my site but not the link here. All is fixed now.

And yes that is a NTFS issue.

Tmod
    edited July 2004
    Thank you for updating the link and this utility.

Unfortunately it didn't help. I copied the bin to the floppy, booted it, made changes, F2 saving, reboot, and --- changes were not saved :(

It's an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Bios I'm trying to mod, any ideas?

THX
  • edited July 2004
    darkpepe wrote:
    Thank you for updating the link and this utility.

Unfortunately it didn't help. I copied the bin to the floppy, booted it, made changes, F2 saving, reboot, and --- changes were not saved :(

It's an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Bios I'm trying to mod, any ideas?

THX

Please post a link to the bios you are trying to mod and exactly what you want modded.

Tmod
    edited July 2004
    I want to enable CPU Interface (optimal -> Agressive)
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce2-S_ST/A7N8X-E_Deluxe/1011e.zip

I just found a bios some guy already modded, but I still would like to know what I'm doing wrong... I'm dazzled!
  • edited July 2004
    darkpepe wrote:
    I want to enable CPU Interface (optimal -> Agressive)
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce2-S_ST/A7N8X-E_Deluxe/1011e.zip

I just found a bios some guy already modded, but I still would like to know what I'm doing wrong... I'm dazzled!

Hmmm seems to be working fine here.

List the exact steps you are taking to mod it. Since you have NTFS you will have to expalin the steps using my batch file tool.

Tmod
    edited July 2004
    Your tool creates a floppy disk, which is already full whan adding the bin file. After booting with that disk, and using modbin, I must save the changes to the existing file, since the floppy disk is full and I have no access to ntfs under dos. Maybe thats why it fails....

I guess the only way to mod this, is under real dos and fat(32) with enough disk space to save changes to new file.
    Is it that way you use modbin?

Also tried a win32 program like the award editor, but everything is scrambled:

http://www.darkpepe.de/award%20editor.jpg
  • edited July 2004
    darkpepe wrote:
    Your tool creates a floppy disk, which is already full whan adding the bin file. After booting with that disk, and using modbin, I must save the changes to the existing file, since the floppy disk is full and I have no access to ntfs under dos. Maybe thats why it fails....

I guess the only way to mod this, is under real dos and fat(32) with enough disk space to save changes to new file.
    Is it that way you use modbin?

Also tried a win32 program like the award editor, but everything is scrambled:

http://www.darkpepe.de/award%20editor.jpg

Ahh now we are getting somewhere, My batch file utilty runs on a dynamic hard drive. It uses your system memory as a hard drive. Anyway after the floppy is done loading just remove it as all the files are on the Ramdrive.

Then insert a new floppy and save the file to it.

Check out my tutorial here on version 3.6 of the utility.

Tmod
    edited July 2004
    Ride on!
    Thank you very much for the help! Works fine so far!
    Is it a ntfs or a winxp issue? Makes no sense to me why this tool would just work under real dos :noidea:
  • edited July 2004
    darkpepe wrote:
    Ride on!
    Thank you very much for the help! Works fine so far!
    Is it a ntfs or a winxp issue? Makes no sense to me why this tool would just work under real dos :noidea:

It is mainly a issue with NTFS but some have had troubles using Modbin with XP on a FAT partition. I have used Modbin succesfully on 98, 2000, XP all on a FAT32 partition.

Well I am glad to hear it works ok for you.

Tmod
  • edited August 2004
    Ahh damn its good to be back on the forums....moving from florida to cali is a BIG job,any ways,yea modbin wouldent work at all,im gona try your way with the 2 floppys and see if that works,right now im trying to unlock some features in a chaintech nforce 2 mobo thats going in my htpc rig,ill post back with reports.