My computer quits on me...help?

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Im surfing the net, playing a game, DLing music, etc... and all of a sudden my monitor turns black, the light on the monitor goes yellow. My guess is my graphics card is over heating. I have an ATI 9700 pro running at stock speed. Today i received my new cooling parts, i got a SLK-947 which made my CPU temps drop from 66 degrees to 44. w00t. Thats all fine and dandy but my new graphics fan doesnt seem to be helping my over heating issues. I bought a iCEBERQ 4 Premium VGA Cooling Kit. I put the fan on with artic silver (for CPU and GPU), put on the 4 ram heatsinks that came included and still OVER HEATING ISSUES! I touch the 9700 where the fan is and its not THAT hot, but the base is too hot to touch so i know its the graphics card. And also, sometimes my computer recovers and i get my image back with some funky colors here and there, and the notorious microsoft SEND ERROR REPORT pops up telling me its my GPU. Ok i have blabbed long enough, i better submit before my comp quits again. Ideas anyone? :confused:

Comments

• Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited June 2004
    Well, my friend owns a GF440MX. I remember he once took off the heatsink and put not a lot of thermal paste on it, and his computer froze in games like UT2K4. Then he took off the heatsink again, and put much more paste in, squeezed in the heatsink, it no longer freezes now. Supposedly its because some gpu chipsets arent completely flat but rather concave.
    From what I know the best heat transfer comes from direct heatsink-chipset contact tho, paste is to take up those micro holes where there is no direct contact between heatsink and chipset.
    You might want to try putting more thermal paste in, and then squeezing the heatsink as tight as possible to the graph card.
    Correct me if I'm wrong someone.
  • edited June 2004
    I'll try that and let you know how it turns out. I have work in 30 minutes, but i'll try it when i get home.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2004
    yeah thats right... the compund (silver i believe is the good stuff) is a really good conducter so they use that to "bond" if you will the two surfeces
  • NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
    edited June 2004
    ...Just make sure you don't drown the chip w/ paste because that in no way will help decrease temps... A VERY thin layer is all you need ;)
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2004
    NeoFX wrote:
    ...Just make sure you don't drown the chip w/ paste because that in no way will help decrease temps... A VERY thin layer is all you need ;)

yeah, too much and it will acculy have a negative affect, in other words, it stops the transfer of heat (as efficantly)
  • edited June 2004
    lol i could be in trouble then. i got a tube with my iCEBERQ 4 and i figure it was a one time amount so i used......all of it. >.< Im sure it will be fine, when i took my heatsink of my graphics card i saw barely any artic silver on the heatsink surface, so there wasnt GOOD contact. since i saw that i did drown my chip with paste, if it continues to over heat i'll use less. if it continues after that i'll put my GeForce 440 mx back in :( I just put the paste on, can i put it back in or do i have to wait a bit?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Hehe! Don't drown the chip! :)

Make sure you removed the shim, as well.
  • edited November 2007
    Oh yea I never reported back what happened. so i used massive amounts of artic silver and put the heatsink back on. ...zzap. The goo splooged all over the transistors and the time of death was June 11th, 2004. I said screw it and put my 440mx back in and it was disgusting. I decided to upgrade to the AMAZING 9800. It fixed my problem and I use it to this day of November 17th, 2007.

Thanks for your help.
    Peace

LOL
This discussion has been closed.