ATI x800Pro/XT/nVidia 6800 GT/Ultra anyone?

edited June 2004 in Hardware
I just ordered an ATI x800XT which i will have the 29th, but there's no discussion here of any of the mentioned cards. Anyone thinking of ordering a new card, and if so, which and why?

I stick with ATI (9700,9800,9800SE AIW) since my experience with the old Ti4600 was worse than bad at best. I also think that ATI really have put some hours behind their drivers and their tv-out is by far superiour than at least the Ti4600 was. The only bad about the first batch of x800's is that they still only have one DVI, where the 6800's have 2 as reference.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    if i were to order a new top of the line card (which i wont, because theres plenty of time for the prices to go down before a new revision), i'd really like an x800xt, especially if i could watercool the f*$^ out of that sumbitch. i choose ati on the current revision because of smoothness of use... not just fps but the fact that when you're using the card everything seems, well, smoother than with an nvidia card

my 2 cents
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2004
    I would choose the ATI just because it is smaller, less demanding, and I just think it is a little better. I guess if you have 2 lcd monitors it sucks that it wouldn't have 2 dvi, my fx 5600 has 2 of 'em, that's funny. Of course I use an adapter for my big ol crt.
  • edited June 2004
    I prefer Nvidia drivers by far but was VERY impressed by the 9600 Pro I picked up a few months ago. The first ATi card I have owned since a Rage Pro Turbo 2.

The performance is great, no messing around. But thats the problem. I like to mess around :)

They do seem to be getting better though, should get better over the next few months with new hardware on its way out.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    i wouldnt touch an Nvidia card.

ATI all the way.

yes in some cases you get better FPS or better 3dmark scores, but all that is crap if you dont have the eyecandy that ATI gives ya.

i sold my 9700pro and got a 5900U a few weeks ago, omg what a mistake, crap crap crap.

thats just my opinion :)
    edited June 2004
    Hey, if I were you I'd gladly take that 5900 card, My only reasonably good card is my 5600 and that is it. I need more money!
  • NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
    edited June 2004
    I plan on a 6800GT or Ultra in the semi-near future ;)

Don't like ATi still :P
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    NeoFX wrote:
    ..... Don't like ATi still :P

Ditto. Not much experience w/ ATI, but I have NEVER had a problem w/ Nvidia drivers or cards.
    When I'm playin games, I am not looking at whether the pixels are perfect.
    WAY Too busy :bringit: :thumbsup:
    edited June 2004
    well, the only ati card I have is a 7000 64mb card (similar to the 64mb ti400/4000s) and I had trouble with drivers on cd, but it may have been because I had another card taken out, I thought I uninstalled it but maybe there are bugs? Anyway with fresh windows and updated drivers it works good for what it can do.

Of course I only own 1 nVidia and 1 ATI worth counting, and 1 more nVidia that doesn't count.