How do I unlimit my 80 gb harddrive from 33 gb?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2004 in Hardware
How? The Seagate utilities disk that came with the drive shows that I can but when I try it fails instantly. Nothing reports the drive as it was native.

Comments

• edited July 2004
    What's the problem, does it report only 33GB, but it's really a 80GB drive?
    How big is it according to windows?
  • edited July 2004
    change the jumper, you have it wrong
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Model Number Model Name Capacity Interface RPM Seek Time System Type

ST380011A Barracuda 7200.7 80 GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    ST380011AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    ST380013A Barracuda 7200.7 80 GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    ST380013AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    Which one do you have?
    • Alternate capacity jumper:
    Drives with a 40-Gbyte capacity
    or greater are limited to 32
    Gbytes. Use this jumper only if
    you have a legacy system with a
    BIOS that does not support
    large capacity disc drives. When
    using the alternate capacity
    jumper,
    • Manager software is required to
    achieve the drive’s full capacity.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Here's the tech page on jumpers etc.-- They have all the settings for jumprs explained.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref/jumper_settings.html#block
    After setting the capacity-limiting jumper, run DiscWizard Starter Edition to allow your computer to recognize the full capacity of the drive.
    Here that is-- http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html.
    Hope this helps.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    jumper is set to cable select, all sources indicate it is about 33 gb, the included seagate install cd tells me the native capacity but says it fails when I attempt to set it back to full capacity.
    edited July 2004
    Hawk wrote:
    Model Number Model Name Capacity Interface RPM Seek Time System Type

ST380011A Barracuda 7200.7 80 GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    ST380011AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    ST380013AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM 8.5 ms avg DPC
    Which one do you have?
    • Alternate capacity jumper:
    Drives with a 40-Gbyte capacity
    or greater are limited to 32
    Gbytes. Use this jumper only if
    you have a legacy system with a
    BIOS that does not support
    large capacity disc drives. When
    using the alternate capacity
    jumper,
    • Manager software is required to
    achieve the drive’s full capacity.

I have:

Jumper is set to either CS or master
    Like I already said, the seagate disk utilities "fail" instantly EVERY TIME so I can't get it to show up as the full capacity, although the disk utilities does know it is capable.

EDIT/ Okay, I tried the floppy again and it worked this time! BUT>>> Something happened and now win xp installer thinks theres about 3.XXX gb there and formating it through the utility it thinks there are 25 gb there. The model number and serial number are all messed up, showing me just random symbols and letters, it looks corrupted somehow and don't know how to fix this. I am trying the Full erase that writes blank data onto the drive, but this will take more than an hour and when I tried this before with the 33 gb limit it didn't work. *Deep breath. So... now I am lost again.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ("The model number and serial number are all messed up, showing me just random symbols and letters, it looks corrupted somehow and don't know how to fix this.")
    This definetely sounds like a virus. Are you running any antivirus program like AVG. Have you run-- Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, CWShredder? I would do all od those and check it again at this point. make sure you update them all for the latest virus,trojan, updates.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Just out of curiosity,Does the motherboard support Ultra ATA? Do you have an Ultra ATA cable on it? And is the blue end plugged to the motherboard? And have you checked the bios & device manager to see if there's anything in there to set, Other than that I'd say ask the Seagate techs through their e-mail support. http://www.seagate.com/support/email/index.html. I'm stumped.
    edited July 2004
    Hawk wrote:
    Just out of curiosity,Does the motherboard support Ultra ATA? Do you have an Ultra ATA cable on it? And is the blue end plugged to the motherboard? And have you checked the bios & device manager to see if there's anything in there to set, Other than that I'd say ask the Seagate techs through their e-mail support. http://www.seagate.com/support/email/index.html. I'm stumped.

It has ultra ata, but windows is not installed with it. since trying to get it formatted right it has shown capacities between 4 and 360+ GB and it won't let me set the capacity to what it is supposed to be, when I try it tells me another wrong capacity. It also has labeled it JT or QT 1800 when it is supposed to be ??3800

*?? means I forgot and am too lazy to check
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Have you run this diagnostic software on it yet? http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    It may tell you what the problem is.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    Rma
  • edited July 2004
    dude yea, the easiest thing to do is RMA it
  • edited July 2004
    Ok i have this same problem but when i change the jumper the drive wont boot. Do i have to format then change the jumper and reinstall?
    edited July 2004
    Has been RMAd and shipped, should reach allens or something like that TX by like Today actually. :) Now I am hoping for a 120gigger to match my other 120gigger so I can raid em up properly, hehe, PLEASE SEND ME A 120 SEAGATE!!! I WILL NEVER BUY MAXTOR AGAIN IF YOU DO!*

Anyone affiliated with Seagate can not read any further, doing so violates the terms and conditions of this post and subjects you to send me free hard drives at my will and desire, for life!

*does not apply if the period of 1 year passes :fu:
    edited July 2004
    I Thankz Yuu Seagate!!!

I Got A 160gb Drive!!!! Now Its Not Matched With My 120, But Who Cares? I'll Figure Something Out. So, Thinking About It, I Paid $40 For This Drive, Plus $7.15 To Send It For Rma, Pretty Good For 160 Gb Still Today.