Nforce 2 and Corsair 3200 Problem with bios

edited July 2004 in Hardware
I know I have seen someone modify bioses for other boards to resolve the problem mentioned here: http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?threadid=10642

Most manufacturers have even officially updated their bioses by now (since it has been a year+ since problem was identified and confirmed. Apparently Shuttle (XPC maker) hasnt. I have been through both a SN41G2 and SN41G2V2 (always use latest bios) and I have this problem to this day whenever I have to clear my cmos or change any clock frequency. Does anyone know the change made to the bioses of other boards that could be applied to a SN41G2V2?

Comments

• edited July 2004
    bilemke,

I would have thought that Shuttle came out after this problem was hot, therefore, Shuttle never had those problems. Do you use the latest Shuttle bios?
  • edited July 2004
    yeah.. I use the latest bios always.. Strangely enough, the problem only comes up with my Corsair TWINX 3200 LL PT. And I can fix it the exact way mentioned in the above link. When I originally got a SN41G2 (original rev) I sent two machines back to reseller as dead within first 2 days because of it. Later discovered a solution on my own thanks to a friend who loaned me some memory. Just about 2 months ago I found the forum post above. Have been researching it slowly till now, but just yesterday I cleared my cmos, and there is the problem again.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    have u run memtest on the memory just in case?
  • edited July 2004
    Gnomewizardd

memtest will test fine.. ;) the system as a whole works fine after passing this one problem with posting after a cleared bios. I temporarily use another stick of memory to change the memory setting to almost anything besides "By SPD" and then put my corsair back in and it will post fine. Problem is in the mobo. I have run memtest in the last year and a half while I have had the same memory and same problem. Runs great, really good in fact. The system as a whole after getting the bios running runs like a rock (atleast as stability goes). :D
  • edited July 2004
    bilemke wrote:
    Gnomewizardd

memtest will test fine.. ;) the system as a whole works fine after passing this one problem with posting after a cleared bios. I temporarily use another stick of memory to change the memory setting to almost anything besides "By SPD" and then put my corsair back in and it will post fine. Problem is in the mobo. I have run memtest in the last year and a half while I have had the same memory and same problem. Runs great, really good in fact. The system as a whole after getting the bios running runs like a rock (atleast as stability goes). :D

Are you willing to try a modded bios? I would change the default settings for the memory in the bios and you could try that.

Tmod
  • edited July 2004
    sweet.. thanks tmod.. i try modded bioses all the time. just havent had the chance for this board.. there have been none so far (modded that is). i figured the defaul memory settings were what was changed int he bios to account for this problem. was that all the "fix" was on the other boards?
  • edited July 2004
    bilemke wrote:
    sweet.. thanks tmod.. i try modded bioses all the time. just havent had the chance for this board.. there have been none so far (modded that is). i figured the defaul memory settings were what was changed int he bios to account for this problem. was that all the "fix" was on the other boards?

Please PM me with a link to the exact bios you want modded as well as a e-mail addy.

Tmod
  • edited July 2004
    link to file and mirror.
  • edited July 2004
    bilemke wrote:
    link to file and mirror.

YGM!
  • edited July 2004
    thanks for the assistance.. but no luck.. came close

after a clear it will post fine at 200 mhz mem and of course 100mhz fsb. before it wouldnt do that. .had to use some other memory for even that. now it is only on the immediate reboot after setting the fsb to 166 or 200 fsb... it wont change with my mem in it. so i still have to put the old mem in.. then after it post once in its "safe values" (or something of that sort, all nforce boards do it when switching fsb) i can shut the power down and put in my good mem again and it will take the new fsb/mem frequency fine.