160 or 130?

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Well I have a WD 160Gb SATA drive in my new system. When I booted from the XP PRO cd, it went through the normal paces, and for whatever reason decided that the drive was only 130Gbs. :loco:

I was so excited that I just said "F IT" and continued on with the format and install fully realizing that I would have to reformat and install again. :(

I have never used a SATA drive before, is that my issue? Or is there something that Im missing? How do I get the full use of this drive? :confused

Update: old post that I helped with....Duh, me so stupid!

Comments

• edited August 2004
    Think the problem is windows only reconizes 130gb i had the same prob with a 300gb drive some say downloading sp1 will remedy this as it has a large disc enabler in it but i went this route
    Well, to start with you have to know how to handle regedit.
    I suppose that you formated the disk and then installed the os (xp) right? What you have to do is to open notepad and then copy the following text :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\]
    "EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

Save as regedit.reg then doubleclick on the file you just saved and add to registry. Then reboot. And at last you should set up the new partition you have acces to now : Start>Run>compmgmt.msc