Time-out

2»

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    takes about 30 seconds to post "I'm not able/willing to do this at this time, sorry for the inconvenience".
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Maybe he hasn't had a chance.
    edited October 2004
    This is a relitivly old thread, so.... I'm not trying to be an aRs, just don't find it cool to be ignored. I'm not the only one who cares, three moderators have pushed this issue as well.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2004
    *foot tapping*

:)

LIN
  • edited October 2004
    LIN wrote:
    *foot tapping*

:)

LIN

Well I recently set up a VBulletin board and the change you are requesting is super easy to accomplish.

All that has to be done by the Admin here is go into The Admin CP, vBulletin Options, Cookies & HTTP Header Options and set the timeout to something more then it is. Here is a image of what has to be changed.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2004
    much obliged, Tmod. :)

has this been accomplished now?

LIN
  • edited October 2004
    LIN wrote:
    much obliged, Tmod. :)

has this been accomplished now?

LIN

I really don't know if this has been done as I am not a Admin here.

Basically all that setting does is delay the time the the auto logoff feature will kick in. So even if you leave the forum without logging off it will still show that you are logged in for whatever time they set the setting at.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2004
    much obliged for checking it out, Tmod.

looks like i'm going to have to kick some as_ around here ;);)
    j/k
    maybe not :p

LIN
    edited October 2004
    I'm sick of askin.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i just set it to 1800, is that enuff?
    edited November 2004
    I think that there are two ideas kickin around here. There is a timeout for being logged in w/ no activity which is what citrix just extended, then there is the new posts being marked as read or not issue; below is what Lin and I are talking about
    Tmod wrote:
    Is this something like you want?

Description: This hack replaces the behavior of vBulletin's "Mark Forum Read" and "Mark All Forums Read" with a system that uses a database to track when forums are set read. By eliminating the use of cookies for this feature, a user can come onto your boards, read a bit, mark forums read as they go through and logout. The next time they come into the forums, the status of which forums they've read and which they haven't, as well as new posts since the last time they read is preserved.
    Zuntar wrote:
    ......IMO a post should be new to me until I open it doesn't matter how long I am on or whether I log off or not!! I don't have enough time to read all the new post every time
    I long in.

LIN, is that clear / make sense? :)

Now like I said before I am cool with a "no, we can't do that" , but being ignored is VERY frustrating (not saying anyone is intentionally doing so, just stating the obvious).
    We are all here feeding our desire to interact w/ people that have similar interests, and I for one thoroughly enjoy these forums and the friendships and acquaintances that I have made. I want to be active in my posting, but unless I dedicate extended time searching for new posts, I can't be as I inevitably don't have the time to read everything and miss some.

P.S. Thank you Citrixmeta for your efforts, time, and dedication.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited November 2004
    i understand what you're saying, Zuntar :)

i originally posted about the "inactive" time-out. yours is a separate issue, but.... is there a way to mark individual posts read? :confused:
    citrixmeta wrote:
    i just set it to 1800, is that enuff?
    30 minutes should be good. of course, more would be better ;)

much obliged, citrix :thumbsup:

LIN
  • edited November 2004
    is there a way to mark individual posts read? :confused:
    LIN

Does this look like something you want?

Additionally read\unread marking can be time based (new field ) "marktime" in users custom fields. And users are able to select number of hours (all posts older then that number of hours will be marked as read) in their CP profile settings.
    And at last to mark forum (or all forums) read we just mark read last thread in that forum (or in all forums

Basically you set when you want the posts marked read or unread.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited November 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    Does this look like something you want?

Additionally read\unread marking can be time based (new field ) "marktime" in users custom fields. And users are able to select number of hours (all posts older then that number of hours will be marked as read) in their CP profile settings.
    And at last to mark forum (or all forums) read we just mark read last thread in that forum (or in all forums

Basically you set when you want the posts marked read or unread.
    Tmod, i think that's exactly it! :)

LIN
  • edited November 2004
    LIN wrote:
    Tmod, i think that's exactly it! :)

LIN

Well I guess it is time for you to sway the Admin's to install that hack.

Good Luck!! :D
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited November 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    Well I guess it is time for you to sway the Admin's to install that hack.

Good Luck!! :D
    Lol

*LIN wonders what this is going to cost her

LIN
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd
    is and adim and has some ideas of payment!
    Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    is and adim and has some ideas of payment!
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited November 2004
    hack away, then, hubby dear ;)

LIN