Northbridge HOT!!

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Problem Soved! :jelly:

I have a Gigabyte 7nnxp and I took of the heasink from the northbridge lapped it and put artic silver 5 on it. It now runs at 140F It used to run at about 100F what do you think the problem is.

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited July 2004
    Maybe you put too much thermal paste? Is the heatsink also firmly resting on the northbridge chip?
  • edited July 2004
    I don’t know how much thermal past to put on a Northbridge so I may have put on to much. About how much do you recommend on a Northbridge. I also think it's not resting as firmly as before because the thermal pad that was on it had it stuck on the chipset really well now it's somewhat loose. (Not real loose though) What’s you opinion on the matter.

I kind of wish I didn't do this now. :-(
  • edited July 2004
    I just called gigabyte and they told me that this board dosn’t have a sensor for the Northbridge and that I should not be worried.

I'm using motherboard monitor, and he said that it's giving a false reading for the Northbridge. What do you think? It’s not like the computer is unstable now, it runs just fine. I just don’t want to destroy anything.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It would shut down from overheating before it would destroy the cpu. I had the wifeys AMD Thunderbird go up to 185-190 F! Fan stopped working. Got the fan replaced and it's still runnin 154-160 on Asus Probe. Runs like a bear! So, I don't think 140F will do any harm. Thats just a little warm to the touch.
    I would think though, that you don't have it tight enough to tranfer all the heat. And as far as the artic 5-- I put mine on as a dab in the center and use a razor blade on a 45 degree angle to spread a very thin and smooth layer over the cpu. Don't rock the cpu around after setting it, because it will squish the Arctic 5 off the center.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    If yu are truly worried you could always lap the NB itself. Most all of the NF2's are very warped or concave so lapping the HS could make for less contact. If you choose to lap the NB do so with caution. I am in no way responsible for your actions or abilities. I did my NF7-S and it worked out great.
  • edited July 2004
    Not that worried anymore. The temp went down to about 105-115F
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    jrdwiz wrote:
    Not that worried anymore. The temp went down to about 105-115F

SWEET!!!!

Did ya muck with it or did the AC5 just "settle" in?
  • edited July 2004
    I didn't touch it... The AC5 just settled.