Articles and reviews?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited November 2003 in Community
I've just had a browse on the front page, under articles and reviews. Whatever I click on takes me nowhere, The page just refreshes. Is it me?

bothered.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I just clicked on "all articles and reviews" and a list appeared ok for me :)

Perhaps (without sounding like Im teaching an old dog new tricks.. ) that sir bothered needs to scroll down the page a little after clicking the link ;)

http://www.short-media.com/article.php?0.list.0

:)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2003
    There is a scroll, but it's like one eighth of an inch. There's nothing under it.

And what d'ya mean 'old dog'?

bothered.
    edited November 2003
    Erm, yes under 'all articles and reviews' there is a list but clicking anything in the list just refreshes the page.

old dog.
    edited November 2003
    But underneath the list changes :)

Do a screenshot cause Im old (nearly 30 :eek: ) and Im not understanding ya :)
    edited November 2003
    OK, The first one is when I first go to the front page, The second one is after I clicked on games. The 'hot forum threads' have moved but nothing else has changed. I presumed the list items are links to reviews.

bothered.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Gotta scroll down past all that ;) Those top boxes are static in every section. The content you're looking for appears in the middle column below the "Last 3 Reviews" box.
    edited November 2003
    heheehehehee ;D
    edited November 2003
    Yes but like I said earlier there is nowhere to scroll to. Do I have to post the entire page? The scroll bar has a one eighth gap at the bottom, there is nowhere to scroll to, hence my question.

bothered.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    I have noticed that it takes a bit longer to load everything under the top blocks. It might not be loading all that. IT should load all the way until you get the Trademark thingy "All trademarks are copyright their respective" at the bottom.
    edited November 2003
    Refresh dear chap. I think I know what the problem you having is ...

There is a tower advert in the segment below the last 3. I just noticed it stalled & didn't load. Im gonna hack in some code that will bypass this if it does stall again :) but a refresh fixes it ;)
    edited November 2003
    I went back to get a copy of the whole page and now it does,eventually, give me a scroll. I've no idea why but earlier it wouldn't even after waiting for several mins.
    I dunno, I give up, it's working now though.

bothered.
    edited November 2003
    Shorty had this to say
    Refresh dear chap. ;)

Do you mean have another cup of tea?

bothered.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    You don't know how many times I've read comments of "where are the articles" because at 1024x769 the beginning of the article is less than 1 cm scroll down.

and they expect it there...bam...in front of them.

Nevertheless...there sometimes is a hang time that you experienced where the front page loads but pauses before the scroll bar appears.
  • edited November 2003
    I dunno, it'd be nice to have the articles appear closer to the top of the page. It's annoying (IMO) to have to look past the stuff at the top.

And this is coming from someone who uses a rez or 1280x1024. Just call me an "Instant Gratification (sp)" kinda guy.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    bothered had this to say

Do you mean have another cup of tea?

bothered.

pwned!
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2003
    I tried to link to a review in one of my posts tonight, and the front page hung up badly, could not get to the review at all....

:(

Dexter...
    edited November 2003
    That's what I had, Sometimes it loads eventually, sometimes it don't. If I was just browsing the net and came across SM I wouldn't wait I'd move on.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    Again...fluke timing thing. With 20,000 unique visitors a day the odds are pretty good that two or more people hit at the same time and it hangs.

We'll look into optimizing it though.
    edited November 2003
    Im working on something to stop it happening :)