Looking for input on new rig

RobbieGeeRobbieGee Norway
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I'm going to upgrade my old computer sometime the next few days and have spent some time learning about the latest hardware again since it's been _a while_ since last time I refreshed my knowledge of HW. I've asked some friends relatively knowledgable in the field and got some positive feedback, but some more input can't possibly hurt ;-)

Anyways, before I submitted my order I'd like to hear if anyone has any objections to me buying the following parts (for whatever reason(s), please include them ;-)

MB: EPoX EP-8KDA3+ nForce3 Socket 754
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache
RAM: 2x DDR-DIMM PC3200 512MB CL2.5 184-P
FAN: Thermaltake Venus 12
HD: Seagate Barracuda 200GB HD
(+ a new mouse for my laptop: Targus Super Mini Retractable Mouse)

NOK 6180,- (~$824 i believe)

I believe the price is about the best I can get where I live, it's certainly not bad.

A friend adviced me to wait a bit for PCI-E, but I'm not _that_ interested and would (probably?) have to buy a new gfx card (got a Ti4200 128mb currently). Also, Doom3 is soon upon us ;-)

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited July 2004
    Nice compo. Sorta similar to mine. I wouldn't wait for PCI-E, tho... it'll take a while before it's matured and fully adopted by mobo/gfx vendors. Just say the hell with it and get a badass AGP card and enjoy Doom 3 :D
  • RobbieGeeRobbieGee Norway
    edited July 2004
    Yea, everyone seems to agree the rig is ok so I'll probably order it tomorrow. I'm gonna hang on to my gfx card. I think I'll get rid of the bottlenecks with the new rig compared to my current athlon 1.13ghz w/512mb ram and a mobo i can't even remember due to some serious switching back and forth during some unstability issues :-P. Even tho I'm no "HW geek", being unable to answer the question "Which mobo you got?" isn't my cup o' tea <:-)
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    you'll definitely get a speed boost going from what you've got now. i have alittle concern about your gfx card being able to handle doom 3, but then i'm only running a 9500 pro.
  • edited July 2004
    whats the price difference between the 2800 and 3000+ where you are? Seems to me that the 3000+ is the nicest looking A64 price wise at least..

Looks like a very capable machine though, remember to fold :)
    edited July 2004
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache, OEM
    kr 1.395,-

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache, BOXED
    kr 1.795,-

So there's a +28,5% price difference for 7% boost in performance judging from the PR rating (3000/2800). This difference is mostly due to a very low price on the 2800+ rather than an expensive 3000+.

Also, they already adjusted the prices after AMD announced the new prices.

On another note, It just came to mind I also need a new PSU since I'm going to keep the old rig as a server (which of course will be folding ;-), and I was thinking I'd go for the NorthQ Silent 4001 (12-17dBA) (not SE version, it wasn't in stock, but my mobo comes with S-ATA adapters so it's no biggie). The PSU I have currently sounds like a jet engine :-P

Aaaaand also I'm buying myself a DVD+-RW, they're so cheap I would be stupid to buy a read-only:
    LG IDE GSA-4082 Bulk Black DVD+R/RW/DVD-R/RW/RAM
    It was affordable, fast and supports both + and - standards, but does anyone know what "RAM" does?
    edited July 2004
    Whops, I compared OEM to boxed version. 3000+ OEM is kr 1.650,- so that would be an 18,3% price increase, not 28,5%. Sorry.
  • edited July 2004
    Robbie :)

Nice to see folks from Norway here, i live there myself.
    Is that from Netshop.no? Great rig in my eyes, but you need a new gfx to play Doom 3 and HL 2 though. You need at least a 9800 Pro to be able to get respectable framerates on those games, no matter what cpu you have. I think komplett has the 9800 SE as the weeks deal, the version that is 256bit and are fully moddable to a 9800 XT with just a bios flash. I think that card is at 1295 or so. Buy just one stick of 512 ram for now and a new gfx instead. My 2 cents....
    edited July 2004
    All parts are from Komplett.no, and all are available. I have the order in front of me, refreshing every 15 minutes so it won't timeout <=)

You got a point with the gfx card and the ram, and I will consider it, but I'm leaning towards my original plan as those games will last me a few weeks total, while the rig itself will last much longer <=)

As a user, I'm more a developer with occational gaming needs. I always have a lot of applications open and so need a lot of RAM. Considering that, I think it may be easier to understand my reasoning not to go for a new gfx card. The total cost right now is close to max I'm willing to spend atm.

In any case, I value your input greatly.
    "Handlingens time er nær" (how would you go about translating that Mackanz? <=) )
  • edited July 2004
    I agree totally now that you mention that you won't play games as much as i thought.
    Good choice overall.
    I went to Netshop (MUCH better webshop than Komplett) and got about the same stuff as you have, except for the mainboard which is the new Nforce 3 250GB and the total, except for the mouse is Tot: 5 830,00.
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for the tip, page has been bookmarked :-)

Anyhow, since the mouse is ~300,-, if we assume Netshop sold it at the same price that would bring the total to 6.130,- which is kr 50,- less than Komplett. If we factor in the shipping it's pretty much the same whichever I order from, so I'll stick with the known this time around. Maybe next time =)

Anywhoo... I just have to press that button. Why is it so hard? *sigh* <=)
    edited July 2004
    To anyone else reading this thread, dividing norwegian kroner on 10 roughly gives the amount in dollars, taxes included. So when I say the mouse is ~300kr it means the price would probably be around 30$ in the US, even though one dollar is about kr 7,50.

(Just clearing any future confusion ;-)
    edited July 2004
    Okie, the rig has been ordered and is on it's way, but I had some second thoughts when my brother sent me a mail regarding my choice of PSU. Note I don't know the first thing about electronics and are still at the level of comparing Volts to pressure of water in a hose... :-P The point is, the specs at http://www.northq.com/products/powersupply/nq4001se.html says its max load at +12V is 15A, while according to the thread at http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=37468 the minimum is 25A@12V for a properly stable rig.

Now, all is not lost and I have backup plans, but if anyone could help me understand the situation a bit better, that would be great :-)