Computer Won't Boot Up On XP

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Alright im gettin a little worried here cuz i can't boot on my WINDOWS XP that i use. so i need some serious Help.

Earlier today i found out how to use MSCONFIG you know to run programs and turn them on and off during start up on my XP....and i also obtain UNINSTALLER PRO 2004 which was an amazing program that helped me get alot of crap outta my system.

Anyway....when i restarted my computer i always have 2 CHOICES run it on ME or XP cuz i have BOOT MAGIC.....well on ME as you can see it WORKS JUST FINE....but when i try and start it on XP it gives me some choices

Run it

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH COMMANDS
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

which then anyone i pick it just shows me abunch of files and then ask me if i want to not LOAD.....

D346BUS.SYS

and tells me to press ESC or CANCEL not to load it... i let it go and nothing happens my comp just stays there not doing anything...if i CANCEL it. Then it still doesn't do anything the computer LIGHTS that tell if the system is working or not stay busy for about 10 seconds and then it acts if everything is fine.

When i choose

RUN THE COMP

NORMALLY - that doesn't do anything either it will load XP like show it LOADING but wont get to the DESKTOP the SCREEN just goes BLACK and stays like that same thing if i tried to load it with

RUN NORMALLY (LAST KNOW WHEN EVERYTHING WAS WORKING) or something close to that....which still does the same exact thing...

I still can get into my BIOS which nothing really works there.

after i used the UNINSTALLER my comp supposedly was going 15% faster which i thought in my head my XP might not be liking the SPEED so i decreased it but still didn't do it.

I was wondering if anybody can help me work MSCONFIG on XP so i can check BACK some stuff that i UNCHECKED....like i heard running MDOS or something can do it....but i need a SOLUTION fast thanx.

Contacts:
AIM - Lukdogg6
MSN - DJLukdogg@hotmail.com

Comments

• HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited July 2004
    It sounds like you need to do a "repair install".

Boot up the machine from the XP CDROM.

You don't want the repair console - just go ahead like you are installing. It will detect the installation - since it IS still there, just broken, and give you the option to (little vague here, been a while) to install over top of it or repair it. Select REPAIR.

It will re-install without wiping things - just like launching Win98s installer from a boot floppy. You may have to put back the boot manager you were using, as it will probably put back the XP one.

Which - in my opinion, works perfectly fine. Why anyone needs anything more than a simple menu and simple choices......... sorry.

That should get it bootable again.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    agree with borg, just do a repair install and you're set. btw,
    I still can get into my BIOS which nothing really works there.
    if that was true, your computer would not wok at all, so it works just fine since you're using it. i hope i'm not coming off too harsh saying that, just thought you should know.
  • edited July 2004
    No i mean in the BIOS everything still OPERATES.....i meant to say there is nothing i can do in there to help out.

Also i dont have the XP CD-ROM which everyone indicates always solves the problem but for right now i do not have it.

i got some more info from somebody else and he said

d346bus.sys is the Daemon Tools driver. Although version 346 is very stable, it can cause trouble sometimes.

The file shouldn't be loading in XP SafeMode, though! Can you startup in a commandprompt mode? If you can, then just rename the file(s) by typing this into the commandprompt:

ren C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\d346bus.sys C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\old_d346bus.old_sys

ren C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\d346prt.sys C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\old_d346prt.old_sys

Note: mind the correct driveletter, and the spaces inbetween the old and new paths and the ren command, so in short this is what you should type in:
    ren PathWithOldName PathWithNewName

After renaming both files, your computer should be starting normally again. If problems persist, though, check the Daemon Tools website for any info.

In ur case, you could just start-up ME, go to the WINXP directory find D346bus.sys and D346prt.sys and rename the files. That oughta do it for ya I hope

So anyway, i can't get into that file nor can i find it anywhere. There was an IDEA to just let it run in NORMAL MODE on XP for about 30 minutes to see if anything changes and it didn't but it was worth a try.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    to boot to a command prompt you need the XP cd. For that ME trick to work your XP system would have to be formated in FAT32 not NTFS, ME can't read a NTFS partition.

If you are savy you could get your hands on Knoppix (It's free to download then you just burn it on cd) which is a linux OS that boots and runs off a cd to get into your system find the file and rename it. You should also be able to find a site that will allow you to make NTFS boot disks so you can boot off a floppy to a command prompt as well. I'd go looking for a link but I'm feeling lazy today and that's what google is for.
  • edited July 2004
    alright i got some help from a good source and ive obtained the ALL MIGHTY CD

now when i go and hit REPAIR and then i enter where the file is i put

Dir D346BUS.SYS and it tells me that the VOLUME is located in DRIVE D IN disk2part1
    AND that the serial number is 3dbe-ce80 or something close to that

so i got and enter D:

which then my friend told me to just RENAME the file and told me to put
    RENAME D346BUS.SYS OLD D346BUS.SYS

and it has the D:\ first... so i was wondering do i but RENAME or REN right after that or it doesn't matter cuz anyway i try and rename the file its always PARAMETER IS INVALID i think i have to be entering it WRONG or something cuz it wont let me RENAME it. DO SPACES COUNT or take out the spaces put underscrolls...i have no clue somebody help
  • HalOfBorgHalOfBorg West Virginia
    edited July 2004
    It SOUNDS like you are in the REPAIR CONSOLE - exactly like I said NOT to do.

DO NOT use the repair console - go ahead to INSTALL.

It will detect the old installation, and give you the option to REPAIR it. It will not ask about replacing or renaming files there.

This will / MAY get XP bootable again. Your programs and files will be FINE.

What it does to installed WINDOWS UPDATES...... uhhhhh, I dunno.
  • edited July 2004
    Wait so when it boots up and asks me INSTALL or REPAIR i should hit the INSTALL?

and what will happen when i click INSTALL it will detect my old version and what will happen after that...

i have 4 PARITIONS

2 are FAT32 and the other 2 are NTFS

and wherever i look in the DOS mood for the D346BUS.SYS it isn't located anywhere but it states it is when i load in safe mood so what should i do specifically load the INSTALL and what happens after that.
  • edited July 2004
    Alright i FOUND BOTH OF THE FILES and its weird because they are located in

I:\

which i found out to be very strange... but anyway i entered

DIR and it gave me the whole LIST of what i have so next i put

I:\DIR WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\D346BUS.SYS and it found it perfectly.....

now the PROBLEM is i need to know EXACTLY what to type to rename the FILE cuz i have tried a couple as in

I:\RENAME DIR WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\D346BUS.SYS DIR WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\OLD D346BUS.SYS

but that doesn't work and i did take out the DIR and tried it but still doesn't work so we are NARROWING it down....i just need the RIGHT RENAME to fix it....someone give me some suggestions....so i can rename both the

D346BUS.SYS and the D346PRT.SYS thanx alot
    edited July 2004
    from i:\ the command would be
    ren windows\system32\drivers\d346bus.sys windows\system32\drivers\d346bus.sys.old

or from i:\ do
    cd windows\system32\drivers\
    then
    ren d346bus.sys d346bus.sys.old
  • edited July 2004
    alright here is what happens i enter I and it goes and looks like this

I:\WINDOWS^.....with that sideways arrow...

so i enter DIR D346BUS.SYS

and states it cannot find it so i enter

I:\WINDOWS^ DIR SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\D346BUS.SYS

and it gives me

3/12/04 10:41P -a

156800 D346BUS.SYS
    1 File(s) 156800 BYTES
    15693778944 BYTES FREE

so stating that i figure that i found the file and all i have to do now is RENAME it correct?

so.... I:\WINDOWS^...you know with that arrow being sideways....and its already displayed...i enter

I:\WINDOWS^ REN D346BUS.SYS D346BUS.OLD

and it can't do it stating you know type ?HELP for assistance or what not i even try and put RENAME instead of REN but that doesn't matter...so give me the next idea i can do.
    edited July 2004
    aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh my head hurts.

Ok first instead of ^ use > it should be on your keyboard normally on the same key with the period.

Next from i:\windows>
    type
    cd system32\drivers
    then
    ren d346bus.sys d346bus.sys.old

Am I getting old or do they really teach nothing in schools these days about computers.

Sorry if you feel I'm bein harsh on you this is simple venting still from reading fire_mat99's posts.
  • edited July 2004
    alright i think i renamed the file cuz i did

what some one told me to do...i did

I:\WINDOWS>CD SYSTEM32

WHICH brought me to:

I:\WINDOWS>SYSTEM32

then i did

I:\WINDOWS>SYSTEM32\CD DRIVERS\

Which brought me to:

I:\WINDOWS>SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\

then

I:\WINDOWS>SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\REN D346BUS.SYS D346BUS.OLD

and nothing happened just gave me another line which i think that it got renamed....since it didn't say INVALID or NOT RECOGNIZED you know so i did the same to D346PRT.SYS and once again it didn't give me an error so i assumed i renamed that too.

NOW!!!! The only bad part is when i restarted and booted from XP it gave me the same choices as before

SAFE MODE
    SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK
    SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPTS

LAST KNOW WORKING STATE

BOOT NORMALLY

when i selected BOOT NORMALLY it just gave me that SPLASH SCREEN of XP and then went BLACK like before.

when i selected LAST KNOWN WORKING STATE it was basically the same thing as the BOOT NORMALLY.

When i selected SAFE MODE......and it doesn't MATTER WHICH ONE

it scrolls thur about 30 files that look like this

MULTI(0)DISK(0)RDISK(0)PARTITION2(0)WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ _____.SYS

and gives me a bunch of .SYS files.... before when i went to SAFE MODE as you recall on my earlier post, when i went into safe mode it did the SCROLLING OF FILES and asked me at the END to LOAD OR CANCEL LOADING....

D346BUS.SYS

but i guess i did rename it since it does not ask me about it this time. But yet still after it scrolls it just HOOVERS THERE again not loading.

Hmmm....whats next?
  • edited July 2004
    Alright i am a step further now and i was told to go and HIT INSTALL on the XPCD and then it would ask me to do REPAIR on what system i want but it doesn't ask me repair it ask me

PRESS ENTER to select the Partition to INSTALL

PRESS C to creat a PARTITION

Press D to delete a partition

and from the choices i have

C: FAT32
    I: it states that (INACTIVE OS/BOOT....... but i cant see the rest)
    D: NTFS

F: another FAT32

so i got no REPAIR choices there......when this person i know saw the INACTIVE OS\BOOT

he said go to the CONSOLE and hit BOOTCFG

which then looked for it and found the

I:/WINDOWS> and then asked me

ADD INSTALLATION TO BOOT LIST

and i clicked YES......it then said

LOAD BOOT IDENTIFIER

i put Y

ENTER LOAD IDENTIFIER which i put

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION

which then asked me

ENTER OS LOAD OPTIONS and i put

/FASTDETECT

and it brought me back to

I:/WINDOWS>

so i assume that i did it...yet when i restarted it still gave me the same option...i was going to do

FIXBOOT but when i did that it told me that the

TARGET PARTITION was C:/ which in this case i didn't think that was write since its in I:/

and then asked me

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO WRITE A NEW BOOTSECTOR TO PART C:/

So from there i need a SAFE AND SURE next step where it wont ERASE anything BUT WILL boot it thanx