rig hangs at mobo bios screen

drowddrowd Texas
edited July 2004 in Hardware
ok so i just got a bunch of new parts in for my new pc (not so much new as newer) and i am running in to some problems. the parts i ordered are the mushkin 2-2-2 1T DDR3200 512 mb stick, the amd mobile 2500+, and the abit nf7-s2. so when i turn it on, it has the little "engineered by abit technologies" or whatever and it says to hit tab for post or del for bios. when i hit del, the case speaker starts making funny noises and when i hit tab i get a prompt of sorts and then it just reboots. so if any folks that have exp with the nf7 (i know its a pretty popular board and i am sure this is a documented problem) could help, that would be great.

ok, so, any help? :D:rockon:

ram
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-284&depa=0

cpu
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=0

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-185&depa=0

EDIT:// one of the other things that seemed weird to me, is that i thought you traditionally wanted the ram closest to the cpu, yet the mobo guide said to have it in slot 3 which was farthest away. could that be the problem?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Usually those funny little speaker noises are telling you whats wrong with it. I'll guess your mobo actually speaks instead of the regular beeps. Off the bat make sure any jumbers if you have any are set up correctly for the CPU clock, and ram timings. Also if you can see if you can make your mobo just issue beeps instead of speaking. If you can get it to beep those beeps will equate to what the problem is. Like 3 fast beeps may be a ram issue for example.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    hmmm, well i have dealt with ram beeps before, and my experience is as follows.

1) usually, if you get beeps, you wont be getting anything on the screen, but its been a while since i have done this so that may have changed

2) what makes me most positive it isnt trying to speak with me is that the beeps are in direct correlation with when i hit the "del" key to enter the bios. its not really a beep so much as . . . if i had to equate it with anything, it sounds most like when you get feedback from a speaker or something. but its when i hit the del key rather than just beeping when my machine boots up.

one of the things that crossed my mind was this. this mobo replaced my old one which was an abit at7. it had its own set of usb headers so instead of hooking up the ones in the front of my case, i hooked up the headers from the one that came with my at7 instead. they are both abit, so i assumed they would both work. but perhaps not . . .
    edited July 2004
    That could be a problem. They could be incompatible or they could be on backwards. First though I'd unplug them and give it a try. I had that happen on my own system before just hooking up the usb lines and I had them backwards and it wouldn't boot.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    ok, the thought plickens . . .

so i was troubleshooting a little more, and i dont even know where to begin. apparently, the errors were related to my hard drives. these are all known, working hard drives, but for some reason, it wouldnt boot with them hooked up. so i unplugged them all and was able to get into the bios. now, when i got into the bios, it has changed a good deal from the AT7/KX7 days. the first thing i noticed was that i was only running at 600 mhz and that the board had not properly identified my proc. i have no exp with the mobiles, so i thought maybe that was to be expected. but when i went in to change it, there was NO PLACE to change the multiplier. i did notice that the FSB was running at 100 mhz, so the multiplier must have been 6. but, no place to change it :( in addition, almost every time i tried to change something in the bios, it usually wouldnt reboot and i would have to clear the cmos. not every time, but most times. i am always the last to cry "hardware failure", but i am starting to think that the ide controller might be jacked up. if someone that has lots of experience with the nf7, i would greatly appreciate if they could hop on this thread. something very fishy is going on . . .

allnighte.gif

i always seem to have the worst luck with abit mobo's. i know they need a good bit of handholding off the start, but its almost ridiculous. whenever i build pc's for other folks, they always boot right up and fly away. i just dont get it.

/me starts to contemplate whether he should have gotten the asus.
    edited July 2004
    I don't know anything about that board but are there jumpers on the board to set the clock speed and timings at all? Could be a blue box with about 6 white switches on it. Also did you read the manual in it yet? Usually they will tell you how to adjust all those things.