Boot Record

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hi all anyone know Master Boot Record or boot record what are the files is it IO.SYS,MSDOS.SYS.CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT or what ?

Comments

• edited July 2004
    The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the information in the first sector of any hard disk or diskette that identifies how and where an operating system is located so that it can be boot (loaded) into the computer's main storage or random access memory.

It does say what are files
  • edited July 2004
    Master Boot Record (MBR)

When you turn on your PC, the processor has to begin processing. However, your system memory is empty, and the processor doesn't have anything to execute, or really even know where it is. To ensure that the PC can always boot regardless of which BIOS is in the machine, chip makers and BIOS manufacturers arrange so that the processor, once turned on, always starts executing at the same place, FFFF0h. This is discussed in much more detail here.

In a similar manner, every hard disk must have a consistent "starting point" where key information is stored about the disk, such as how many partitions it has, what sort of partitions they are, etc. There also needs to be somewhere that the BIOS can load the initial boot program that starts the process of loading the operating system. The place where this information is stored is called the master boot record (MBR). It is also sometimes called the master boot sector or even just the boot sector. (Though the master boot sector should not be confused with volume boot sectors, which are different.)

The master boot record is always located at cylinder 0, head 0, and sector 1, the first sector on the disk (see here for more on these disk geometry terms). This is the consistent "starting point" that the disk always uses. When the BIOS boots the machine, it will look here for instructions and information on how to boot the disk and load the operating system. The master boot record contains the following structures:

Master Partition Table: This small table contains the descriptions of the partitions that are contained on the hard disk. There is only room in the master partition table for the information describing four partitions. Therefore, a hard disk can have only four true partitions, also called primary partitions. Any additional partitions are logical partitions that are linked to one of the primary partitions. Partitions are discussed here. One of the partitions is marked as active, indicating that it is the one that the computer should use for booting up.

Master Boot Code: The master boot record contains the small initial boot program that the BIOS loads and executes to start the boot process. This program eventually transfers control to the boot program stored on whichever partition is used for booting the PC.
    Due to the great importance of the information stored in the master boot record, if it ever becomes damaged or corrupted in some way, serious data loss can be--in fact, often will be--the result. Since the master boot code is the first program executed when you turn on your PC, this is a favorite place for virus writers to target.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Those files you mentioned aren't part of the mbr they are the files that take over after the mbr has done it's thing. In fact windows doesn't even really use the MBR. If you are dual booting with linux and dual booting then you can install lilo or other boot loaders into the MBR for dual booting.

If you are worried about your MBR being infected just do fdisk /mbr from a windows 98 boot disk.
  • edited July 2004
    What is the difference of Master Boot Record and system files and what does it do??
  • edited July 2004
    So the Boot Record contains the info on how to start the boot and find start the system files IO.SYS,MSDOS.SYS.CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT
  • edited July 2004
    I would suggest that you try some of the search engines for the questions you are asking, There are plenty of good ones out there that will yield the answer.

But to save you from typing the question in a search engine take a look here.

Tmod
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    basically the way it works is that windows installs a boot loader to the master boot record. the boot loader is a piece of software storing the information about what OS's are at what partitions. if windows doesn't know of any other windows partitions, then the boot loader is silent. the master boot record is the default location that this boot loader is looked for. basically
  • edited August 2004
    Or why don't you just look in your textbook ? With these questions you are asking it is plainly obvious you are taking a computer class and simply don't feel like reading or doing any work on your own, thus you come to a computer based forum and ask your homework questions hoping someone will do the work for you.

Kids these days !
  • edited August 2004
    Or why don't you just look in your textbook ? With these questions you are asking it is plainly obvious you are taking a computer class and simply don't feel like reading or doing any work on your own, thus you come to a computer based forum and ask your homework questions hoping someone will do the work for you.

Kids these days !

Why DON'T you take your trash to another form dude.STOP postting computer problem whe are not intrested to fix your PC fix your self dude.
  • edited August 2004
    I highly think I know the answer to this, but can you actually read? Where in any of my replies to you did I have a computer problem or ask for help with a computer problem? Are you seriously mentally retarded?
  • edited August 2004
    You need to go to computer school start learning computers.You think you know every think but you do not .Everytime some one post computer question you flame them . If You do not know how to replie to question do not replie
  • edited August 2004
    Who have I ever replied to negatively other than you? Seriously you are either psychotic or mentally retarded. Look at my post count, does it really look like I "flame" everyone when I only have 38 posts?

Why don't you click on my name and look for all of my posts. Nowhere will you see a "flame" or negativaty. Secondly I never claimed to know everything about computers, or anything even remotely close to that.

I come to these forums to learn about computers and problems, and I come here when I need help with something and I've exhausted other options. Before you continue talking out of your ass and making ridiculous statements and claims about someone, maybe you should actually check and do some RESEARCH. Which brings us back to the whole point on why your posts are ridiculous anyway, you don't DO ANY RESEARCH, and you want everyone to do it for you.

Are you going to post a new thread now asking someone to post you links to all of my other posts? Lord knows you wouldn't actually look yourself, and chances are your lack and inability to read and write, is probably the reason.
  • edited August 2004
    Well basic thing like are Master Boot Record works should easy to replie ..

Master Boot Record (MBR)

When you turn on your PC, the processor has to begin processing. However, your system memory is empty, and the processor doesn't have anything to execute, or really even know where it is. To ensure that the PC can always boot regardless of which BIOS is in the machine, chip makers and BIOS manufacturers arrange so that the processor, once turned on, always starts executing at the same place, FFFF0h. This is discussed in much more detail here.

I look up this fuckin thing on net
    In a similar manner, every hard disk must have a consistent "starting point" where key information is stored about the disk, such as how many partitions it has, what sort of partitions they are, etc. There also needs to be somewhere that the BIOS can load the initial boot program that starts the process of loading the operating system. The place where this information is stored is called the master boot record (MBR). It is also sometimes called the master boot sector or even just the boot sector. (Though the master boot sector should not be confused with volume boot sectors, which are different.)

The master boot record is always located at cylinder 0, head 0, and sector 1, the first sector on the disk (see here for more on these disk geometry terms). This is the consistent "starting point" that the disk always uses. When the BIOS boots the machine, it will look here for instructions and information on how to boot the disk and load the operating system. The master boot record contains the following structures:

Master Partition Table: This small table contains the descriptions of the partitions that are contained on the hard disk. There is only room in the master partition table for the information describing four partitions. Therefore, a hard disk can have only four true partitions, also called primary partitions. Any additional partitions are logical partitions that are linked to one of the primary partitions. Partitions are discussed here. One of the partitions is marked as active, indicating that it is the one that the computer should use for booting up.

Master Boot Code: The master boot record contains the small initial boot program that the BIOS loads and executes to start the boot process. This program eventually transfers control to the boot program stored on whichever partition is used for booting the PC.
    Due to the great importance of the information stored in the master boot record, if it ever becomes damaged or corrupted in some way, serious data loss can be--in fact, often will be--the result. Since the master boot code is the first program executed when you turn on your PC, this is a favorite place for virus writers to target.

And
    The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the information in the first sector of any hard disk or diskette that identifies how and where an operating system is located so that it can be boot (loaded) into the computer's main storage or random access memory.

Get your facts right man !!
    Well most of the question is answered.
  • edited August 2004
    and chances are your lack and inability to read and write, is probably the reason

STOP repeating your self whe talk anout it.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Huh?!
  • Dream-WeaverDream-Weaver Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited August 2004
    ???....umm....???...uhhhh....oww...my whole face hurts from reading that