Hard Drive problem?

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Thanks for taking ur time to read this....my problem is that i recently wanted to change my hard drive at that time using win98 to a new hard drive blank but i couldn't get da winxp to work on the new hard drive so i wanted to juss put back da old hard drive in for da time being but wen i hooked it back up it goes and tells me my driver specs n stuff like dat and it says needs reboot disk?? Can anyone tell me the problem and hopefully the cure?
Thx in advance

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    So let me just clarrify this. You had win98 up on running on harddrive x and you now have a bigger harddrive y. So you fdisked/formatted and copied the data from x to y and now it won't boot correctly?

If that's the case I'll guess that you didn't copy the drive over propperly. What did you use to do the drive copy? If you just used windows copy command for example it won't work to many hidden/system files that won't copy over. You need to boot up with a ghost disk for example and do a low level copy. If everything is coppied and the new y drive is set to master your system shouldn't know the difference only that it now has a bigger drive.

On another note though, a better sollution (though a good cleaning is always a good thing to do from time to time) would be to have windows installed on the smaller drive and use your new one for storrage. I'm assuming of course that your small drive is physically not damaged.
  • edited August 2004
    I would agree with Kryyst, although about the cleaning deal I think you should save to cd anything you want to carry over and load it from a fresh windows install. Copying over all the data from an old hard disk isn't going to save you much time unless you can think to yourself and say I use absolutly everything on this drive. In that case I am wrong to tell you to start from a fresh windows install, although it does improve preformance.