lil help plz

edited August 2004 in Hardware
My friend is biulding a computer, and it gets no display, we tried putting a different video card in, and different ram. I thought id try here b4 we start trying the proc. RAM vid card in my comp... so if you have any suggestions to what the deal is plz post em' here.. thanks.

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    can u list the hardware being used?

ram, motherboard, cpu, videocard, power supply.

im sure we can figure this one out.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Is it doing anything. ie. beeps, power up sounds flickers anything?
  • edited August 2004
    it has powered up, we havent found the connection pins for the speaker so we dont know of any beeps...

ram: 1 gig pc2100
    MOBO: MSI ?? the rest i dont kno
    CPU: intel 4 2.4 gig (new)
    Vid Card: Geforce 2 Ti
    PSU: 350 watt (mew)
  • edited August 2004
    Personally I need a little more information before I can offer suggestions. What exactly is happening and NOT happening? Are fans spinning up? Is the hard drive accessing? Is the CDROM accessing, floppy?? We need a little more information.

And in my opinion, if you can't even find the connection pins for the speaker, I seriously think you might be in over your head trying to assemble a computer.
  • edited August 2004
    the fans start up, i unplugged the disk drives...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Plug the drives back in hook everything up and the pins for the internal speaker are probably bottom right corner of your mobo. There should be a bank of pins for things like pwr, spkr, reset etc.... plug the internal speaker into the spkr set of pins. It normally doesn't matter which direction you plug it in but if it doesn't work one way flip it the other.

Then when you boot up if there is an error you should get a series of beeps. It may be in the manual for the mobo but you may also have to go to the manufacturers site to see what they mean.

Also try unplugging the video card and plugging it back in. Same with the CPU and any other cards that you may have installed. Often this sort of problem is because of a poorly seated card.

Beyond that make sure that if your mobo has jumbers for setting the cpu clock and front side bus that they are all set up correctly. If possible set it to plug n' play mode.