New processor = arggg

karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hey everybody, I recently did a little upgrade to my computer, ditching my 2100+ for a shinny new 3000+ with a 333mhz FSB. The CPU is on an Abit AN7 (with which I have tried a few different BIOS including the latest official BIOS and TicTac's) with 512MB of Corsair XMS PC2700 RAM. Well the system was running fine before I did the upgrade, it could run at defult settings and could overclock pretty well (infact, I hesitated on getting the 3000+ because of the overclocking ability, but I figured the extra L2 cache and lower heat would be good.) But since I have put the 3000+ in, this system has been a headache.

Basically the system will only run with a Vcore of 1.6 (even though the default is 1.65) and with a CPU speed between about 2100mhz and 2180mhz. Even at these settings the system will randomly do quirky things (BSOD, freeze.) At any other voltage (including 1.65) the system will either freeze randomly, or will fail to boot into Windows. The CPU won't take anything more than about a 20-30mhz overclock, and surprisingly, won't take an underclock of more than a 100mhz.

I know the RAM is fine because A.) I have been using for 6 months B.) I tried switching RAM too. I suppose the obvious answer is that the CPU is messed up, so this is kind of a post to ask for other opinions (conferming that the CPU is bad or not) and seeing of anybody has any creative ideas.

Sigh, I should have gotten a 2500+ :(

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Umm what's the FSB for your mobo and the speed of your ram?
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited August 2004
    RAM is rated for 333mhz, motherboard can easily do 400mhz. Right now the FSB and RAM are at 333mhz.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    wierd My mother has the same setup and it runs fine @ 400 FSB
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Sounds like bad ram, bad CPU, or bad timing settings between the two. Check to see if there are any flashes for your BIOS that may need updating.