Operating System not found

edited August 2004 in Hardware
its a long story for the experts:

originally i was running XP pro for a while, and it was getting slow so i decided to reformat it. for some reason wenever i tried to do a clean install of XP pro, it installed correctly - but my old folders and files were still there.
also whenever i did the new installation, it created two options to start windows (for example, if u have 2 OS on diff partitions, it gives u an option of which to start - the only problem was that the my XP was on the same partition... if i selected the top option, it would bring me to a "new-looking" XP but all my folders were still located in C:\ ... and if i selected the bottom option, it would take me back to my faulty/slow XP i had been running). so i decided to use this one win2000 cd i had to reformat the entire disk, after the completion bar reached 100% (for erasing the partition), the next step was to either press "enter" to continue - or press "F3" to exit. since i didnt want win2000, i quit the installation and reboot, took out the win2000 cd and swaped it with the XP cd. then i reboot the machine onli to fine a message saying "Operating System not found".... i also tried using the setup diskettes to startup the XP setup, but after the 6th diskette, it says "STOP:c0000221 \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll" (that msg was on a blue screen) yeh.. ive also tried to get a clean copy of the 6th setup disk and the same message shows up. also ive tried to get into DOS mode but my HP workstation has a wierd boot menu and doesnt have the option to reboot in DOS mode. so basically i have no commands to run anything

- any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2004
    Ok first whatever you were formating it with your XP cd you weren't doing a clean install.

To do a clean install boot up with your XP cd. If you can't boot with your XP cd something is wrong with your XP cd as even the upgrade versions are bootable.

Then start the install process and it will ask you where to install it the same as it did with win2k. Choose the drive, delete the partition, create a new partition format it NTFS and then proceed with the install.

If however your XP cd came with your HP system and is infact not a real XP cd but a recovery version of XP then the process will be slightly different and I could only hazard to guess at what it'll do.

The boot into DOS mode only exists on Win95 core (98/98se/ME) versions and not on any NT(nt, win2k, winXP) versions which is why you aren't seeing it. Closest thing you get to a dos boot on an NT system is to boot up with the CD in and go to what is called Recovery Console.
  • edited August 2004
    the cds wont boot tho, XP or win2k. i already set the boot priority to CD-ROM also
  • avansantavansant New Jersey
    edited August 2004
    boot only from cdrom.. make sure no other devices are goign to boot except for the CD.. sometimes IDE harddrives jump the gun and init before cds can.