Possible bios problem

edited August 2004 in Hardware
XP SP1
Maxtor 80GB HD (slave/storage)
Samsung 20GB HD (master)
Award Bios me thinks

My computer will not boot up most of the time. I can't get into bios just a blank screen. Mouse(infra red) and keyboard don't light up. How do I do the process of elimination to find out where my problem lies? My problem first started with the freezing of my screen. I have an ATX case with my reset light showing red. I know when my computer was working the light was off. :(

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    could be your processor got too hot and it died. could be your ram is dead, or even your motherboard. could also be any one of your cards like video, network or sound. when you say that your screen froze, did the video get corrupted or not? did you recently move your computer, if so, something could have gotten a little loose, you might wanna try to open the case and make sure all cards, ram, and cpu are seated properly. you might also try swapping out your psu, it might be dead and not able to provide enough juice to get your system going.
  • edited August 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    could be your processor got too hot and it died. could be your ram is dead, or even your motherboard. could also be any one of your cards like video, network or sound. when you say that your screen froze, did the video get corrupted or not? did you recently move your computer, if so, something could have gotten a little loose, you might wanna try to open the case and make sure all cards, ram, and cpu are seated properly. you might also try swapping out your psu, it might be dead and not able to provide enough juice to get your system going.
    My screen would freeze for example when my screen saver would be on. My old system I installed XP and according to the OEM it wasn't approved to handle XP. So I switched everything except my video card to the new case. RAM type is different as is processor 700Mhz compared to 2Ghz in the new one. Video corrupted, not sure if I understand. That's why I was thinking bios problem. It's like I have the same problem on 2 different systems.