AMD 64 Thermal pad or Artic Silver 2

Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Just got my retail AMD 64 3200+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250Gb, Kingston HyperX KHX3200AK2/1G 1 GB Kit DDR400 PC3200, 2X WD 36Gb raptors (10,000 rpm w/8megbuffer), and an ATI 9800 pro 256MB DDR ( heard you could mod bios on Vid card to convert to 9800XT)
Any how I am sure I will have several questions as I build this one so any comments will be rewarded with huge amount of cash, lol (just kidding) but please chirp in with any tips you might have. To get started I noticed this processor does not have an expossed die, should I get rid of the thermal pad and VOID the warrenty or leave it as is. The only thermal paste I have is Artic Silver 2. Which is better?

Comments

• edited August 2004
    Nice system, I personaly don't know which is better, but I would never suggest voding the warrenty, exspecialy on a expensive chip such as that one.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    thermal pad on a A64 heatsink isnt that bad actuially if u arent going to oc its fine
  • edited August 2004
    I'd get rid of the pad and use some decent paste. As said the thermal pads arnt bad, but you cant get much better than Arctic Silver...

Also, you dont have the same risk as shorting bridges and what not on the older Athlons so go for it. You wont brake anything. If something does brake just clean it up and send it back anyway :P
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    If you want to run stock, leave it. If you want to overclock change the pad out for good paste just take your time and be careful you'll be fine. Judging from the rest of your hardware you plan on runnin a fast system, I say DO IT!!! faster is ALWAYS better!!
  • edited August 2004
    ha. i was going to post the same exact thread. i have pretty much all the same parts as you except i got corsair 3200 xms, evga 6800 gt, blah blah bah... i was wondering the same thing, except i have arctic silver 5. i was always told not to use the pad?