Urgent! Graphics card problem?

MoktarMoktar The Fence
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I used to be on these forums a year or two ago. Anyway, I've been having a problem the last couple of days with my PC. It's been freezing and then the monitor turns off and won't turn back on. I reported the error to Microsoft and the report said it was a problem with my graphics card. I have a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800. The ATI website had some customer service stuff, but it really wasn't much use to me. Please help! I need to stop my computer from freezing every half hour!

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    you fan on the card still running?

you update the drivers?
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited August 2004
    also have u made sure ur card isnt caked in dust? also try reinstalling the card that might help
  • MoktarMoktar The Fence
    edited August 2004
    I'll check all that out! Thanks! I don't know if anything's happened yet, but it hasn't frozen in quite some time now! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • MoktarMoktar The Fence
    edited August 2004
    This card is definitely overheating. The fan seems to be on, but you could fry an egg on this bad mother. I really don't get this at all.
  • EMNEMN
    edited August 2004
    You need some better case air circulation, put an "in" fan in the front and an "out" fan in the back (if you haven't so already) and if your case permits a side panel fan to blow over the gfx card that'd help even more.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited August 2004
    You need some better case air circulation, put an "in" fan in the front and an "out" fan in the back (if you haven't so already) and if your case permits a side panel fan to blow over the gfx card that'd help even more.

Yeah that should help considerable. Try to see if you can find out our fan speed. If it is over heating and you have those fans you can buy a cooling kit for card. Its a good investment. My geforce 4 has one that wraps around the card (like the one you can buy) and i have not had any over heating problems.
  • MoktarMoktar The Fence
    edited August 2004
    Dell sent me a new fan today and it's working perfectly. I'm going to buy a Zalman heat pipe soon though just to make sure that my card never overheats again. Thanks everyone.