High temps?

KT8KT8 Surrey, UK.
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I recently changed my motherboard from an Abit KG7 to a Abit KV7. With that my case & CPU temp both went up by 10~12 Celsius. With general use the CPU is at 48 and the case 55, and that's after buying some arctic silver 5, which did knock a couple of degrees off.

The root cause I think is the increase in case temperature, but could the motherboard alone be responsible for that?

The temps don't seem to be affecting anything, stability is excellent, but I would like to get them down a bit.

Spec:
Abit KV7 motherboard
XP1900+ CPU (Cooled with a Zalman Flower Cooler)
80GB WD Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4800SE Graphice
DVD & CD-RW
Audigy Platinum Sound
Aopen Midi tower Case & PSU
1 intake & 1 exhaust fan.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    well, it could be a few things.

those onboard temp probes on mobos are not very accurate.
    i think this one is off a little.

another thing i would look for is the voltages. vcore/vdimm.
    maybe this mobo is giving the cpu/mem more juice than the other motherboard.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Exactly what citrix said! The only factor is the mobo, whether it is more voltage or the onboard temp probes, check for bios upgrades official and unofficial.
  • KT8KT8 Surrey, UK.
    edited August 2004
    I've updated the BIOS, no change. Settings are as follows:

In soft menu setup:
    CPU Core: 1.850v
    DDR: 2.65

In PC Health they are:
    CPU Core: 1.77v
    DDR: 2.68v

Everything is at default settings, do these look OK?
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited August 2004
    ur voltage on ur cpu is a little up i'd say, my xp2000+ runs at 1.632v for default(says cpu-z), unless u oc'ed ur processer and raised voltage for stability.
  • EMNEMN
    edited August 2004
    I would agree with citrixmeta, however the voltages do see a little high as SSR_06 mentioned, maybe the default on the new mobo wasn't correct and you should lower it?

Personally if it's stable I don't worry about the temperature too much. If the 1900+ is a Palomino core it's probably going to get pretty toasty regardless. My good ole tbird idles at 45-47C. :)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    do you have a seprate senors you can use like a front bay temp reader?