WHAT is wrong with my PC? (display, video card, ?????)

edited August 2004 in Hardware

Comments

• ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited August 2004
    dmcgibbo wrote:
    A long time ago, there started to be red and cyan lines flashing on my display (IBM Stinkpad) and I sent it in to warranty and they "fixed" it but they said they couldn't reproduce it. I think they changed the inverter and something else though.

Anyway, now all of a sudden it started happening again and I was going to send it in for service but it randomly just went away again. My PC is about to go off warranty so I'd like to figure out what is causing it.

Anyway, if you CLICK HERE you can look at pictures of what the display looks like and 2 videos of it. Anyone have any idea what this is?

The video card should be find and I haven't changed any display settings or anything else...

What kind of moitor is it, crt or LCD. You said it was a think pad so I assume it is an LCD display. If it is a crt plug it into another comp that should narrow the problem substantually. If its a laptop then i guess you will need to call IMB again. I looked at the screen and i have never seen that before.

Did you try i different resolution? If you are using an LCD screen set it to the resolution it was designed for and see what it looks like then.
  • jwersanjwersan LI NY
    edited August 2004
    dmcgibbo wrote:
    A long time ago, there started to be red and cyan lines flashing on my display (IBM Stinkpad) and I sent it in to warranty and they "fixed" it but they said they couldn't reproduce it. I think they changed the inverter and something else though.

Anyway, now all of a sudden it started happening again and I was going to send it in for service but it randomly just went away again. My PC is about to go off warranty so I'd like to figure out what is causing it.

Anyway, if you CLICK HERE you can look at pictures of what the display looks like and 2 videos of it. Anyone have any idea what this is?

The video card should be find and I haven't changed any display settings or anything else...

I've seen something similar; I think your problem is related to the link to the display. I have had displays that would have lines like this, and I would "twist" the display at an angle, and this usually would clear the problem.
    Any tech out of school should be able to fix this, either way, demand that they replace the display & the "ribbon" cable to the display.
  • edited August 2004
  • edited August 2004
  • edited August 2004
    dmcgibbo wrote:
    Here's an update...

the problem went away yesterday but now it's back. i haven't found a way to fix it when it's happening or to purposely cause it to happen when it isn't happening. i set a screen saver to blank my screen and that seemed to improve it after i resumed but then the problem comes back.

i've tried flexing the case, display, cord, unplugging power, trying with the port replicator and without, etc. and all seems to have no effect.

1. If your screen is a CRT screen it looks like it needs DeGausing. Turn the screen off, unplugg the power coard and plugg it in again. Make sure that there are no magneticfields in close vercinity of your screen, typicaly desktop speakers. Some old CRT screens have a DeGausing button - use it if you have one. If that dosen't help get it replaced ASAP.
    2.If your screen is a LCD do the same thing - with the powercord. If it dosent help, get it replaced ASAP.