automatic overclock

edited September 2004 in Hardware
I'm confused. I bought an AmdXP Athlon CPU 2100 (1.7). Replaced the older because it became overclocked somehow and that one was an AthlonXP 1800. It read as a 1.7 which is not right. So anyway the new 2100 CPU has been loaded and i start the comp. Windows starts and i check my comp properties. It states an Amd Xp 2.02 processor. I have no idea whats going on. This makes two processors i bought to be overclocked and running way to hot. 48C to 50C average and when i try to run on-line games it causes it to surge to 128 degree'sF and shuts down. Please help me.

se7enbrew

Comments

• edited August 2004
    The fsb is probably set to faster speeds in the bios. I'm guessing 154 or so, when default is 133 if it is a 133 fsb cpu.
    Google a program called cpu-z.

I uploaded the proggy, just rename the file to .exe instead of .zip.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Do Yourself A Favor Listen To Everyword Mackanz Says He Is The Ocing God Of Ic
  • edited August 2004
    :confused: Thats a nice tool, I have one now. Mabey I need to provide more info. motherboard box says it's a 266 MHz FSB. Cpu-z says: FSB 100.9MHz, Bus speed 201.8 MHz. Mainboard: Asus VIA A7V266-E DDR. Cpu is set at 1.3 in bios. Yes, the comp was built by a friend of mine for me. He has the exact same thing besides a diffrent case, (I have a lot of fans and a good cpu cooler.) but a diffrent case dosn't justify such a high cpu temp. Do I still need to lower my FSB speed or do I need a new Mobo so this won't happen again? Thank you for listening to me.

ps. If you need more info, let me know.
    se7enbrew
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited August 2004
    i think u should get an all copper heatsink if its getting that hot, i got an all copper heatsink for my 2500 and it went down to almost 38c idle!!! thats close to my case temp witch runs 30-36c idle(depends on room temp). thermaltake makes exelent heatsinks and fans. for $25 you can get an all copper heatsink and fan from them. and also you fsb should be at 133, im thinking you have one of the unlocked 2100's and the multiplyers are set up higher than they should be. i think 13 is the default multiplyer. thats my opinion on you problem from what i know
  • edited August 2004
    I have an all copper heatsink. My multiplier is set at 13, It must be something else. I tried to set it lower, but it snags in restart.

multiplier:x20.0
    voltage:1.632v
    core speed around:2018.0
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited August 2004
    a 20x multiplier is very high, it should't be set that high by default. have u tried clearing your cmos?
  • edited August 2004

How do I do that? Please explain in detail it's all new to me.

I'm confused. I bought an AmdXP Athlon CPU 2100 (1.7). Replaced the older because it became overclocked somehow and that one was an AthlonXP 1800. It read as a 1.7 which is not right. So anyway the new 2100 CPU has been loaded and i start the comp. Windows starts and i check my comp properties. It states an Amd Xp 2.02 processor. I have no idea whats going on. This makes two processors i bought to be overclocked and running way to hot. 48C to 50C average and when i try to run on-line games it causes it to surge to 128 degree'sF and shuts down. Please help me.

Cpu is set at 1.3 in bios. 266 MHz FSB. Cpu-z says: FSB 100.9MHz, Bus speed 201.8 MHz. voltage:1.632v multiplier:x20.0 core speed around:2018.0 Mainboard: Asus VIA A7V266-E DDR: 256ddr sdram
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited August 2004
    there should be a jumper near to your actual cmos chip with a jumper on it, 2 covered, 1 open, move the jumper one space so it covers up the previously uncovered pin and the middle pin. keep it here for 5sec roughly, then move it back to the origional position. if you have the mboard manual it will say exactly where the jumper is.
  • edited August 2004
    I don't know, All my dip switches is in the default. I messed around with my cpu ratio switch and set it to 9x, thinking that it would set my multiplier from 20x to 9x. Instead bois says my cpu is 900MHz. I don't know what to do. I'm such a newbie. I guess I have a choice, new Mobo or water cooler, I have to get my cpu temp down.

Cpu is set at 1.3MHz in bios. 266 MHz FSB. Cpu-z says: FSB 100.9MHz, Bus speed 201.8 MHz. voltage:1.632v multiplier:x20.0 core speed around:2018.0 Mainboard: Asus VIA A7V266-E DDR: 512ddr sdram dimm
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited August 2004
    well at least u admit u don't know what ur doing and don't wanna mess around with it untill u do. i suggest getting a new mobo, watercooling is very expensive.
  • edited September 2004
    Thanks for the help everyone.
  • ZecterZecter The coldest state in the Continental USofA
    edited September 2004
    You've asked your friend to check it out right?