long distance lan? :D VPN maybe?

edited September 2004 in Hardware
Howdy and thanks in advance.
Here's what i need: see, my brother moved in down the street and he has DSL, and i do too, and we want to set it up as if we were on ONE network. Now i would run a cable down there but it's .25 miles away, and i know there's an easier way.
Does anyone know how to do this? or know where i can find resources?

in effect, i'm trying to aquire a network relationship that exists like a true LAN
as in //comutername would work, and we could "LAN" games n shit.

Anyway to do this??
thanks again! :jelly: :bringit:

Comments

• edited September 2004
    use wireless
  • edited September 2004
    from a quarter mile away? ... ... chmon nah
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    ya, there a wireless card that'll go up to 5000 ft. get that and you'll be able to network them.
  • edited September 2004
    dude, u can use wireless half of a mile away, just get those outdoor antennas, well worth it, ORRRR get LONGGG ASS CAT 5 cable and run it on the ground for a while till sumone says sumin hahaha, i did that once, lasted like a week hoenstly, cuz no one out there is ganna give a crap about a wire on someone's street
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited September 2004
    If you do go with the wireless idea make sure to set it up to where only you and your brother can access it. Static MAC's should do the trick.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2004
    you can't run 5000' of cat 5 it won't work you are limited to around 150 meters before signal loss. You'd need a shit load of repeaters to boost a cat 5 signal 5000 feet.

Wireless is the way to do it. Or like you already mentioned just set up a VPN connection.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    if you want a link to the 5000ft wireless card and router just tell me and i'll get it for you.
  • edited September 2004
    i do want it,

show me show me show me show me show me :bringit: :jelly: :):):):)
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/search.asp?mnf=1724&cat=35
    it expensive but well worth it if you really want long range wireless