The "Things to Bring" List:

edited May 2004 in Community
After countless hours of brainstorming, and shoving many dollar bills into stripper's undergarments, we have come up with a list.

This list is the ever-important ’Things to Bring’ list. That is, things which each of you should (for your own well being) bring to the LAN:

• Patch Cord: of the RJ-45 sort. Bare minimum length at no less than 25’. Any shorter, and it’s owner will be calmly taken out back and shot.
    …. Oh, you’d think we’d never get away with it, but this is Detroit, people…
  • Powerstrip: Surge protector recommended.
  • Legal copies of games: Otherwise we don’t want to know about it. Further details will be coming in a later "Games" post by either me and/or Psudo.
  • Mayonnaise Jar: 40 people and 3 toilets… you do the math.
  • Control Top Pantyhose: …? ;)
  • Mace: We’re letting –tk off his leash.
  • Extension Cord: 5-10 feet. Basically the longer the better.
  • Headphones: You know, for your ears. Audio devices of the loudspeaker sort would/could irritate others. It would also make gaming more difficult.
  • Installed & Up-to-Date Virus Scanner: 'Cause we cant have digital STDs floating around, spoiling the fun.

If you have any more ideas, post 'um.

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    wow, no less than 25ft??
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I just want to be safe, you know?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I've got some extra cord for those who may need it, but its on a limited basis, 100ft only oges so far!!
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    Uhmm...you want a Patch cabke thats 25 ft? sure you don't mean just a regular ethernet cable....cause correct me if I'm wrong...but patch cables are used to go from Comp<--->Comp.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Naw, thats crossover.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    What prime has are routers. Patch cords go to wall from computer, or in a smaller setting direct to router. Now I gotta go to Home Depot and get some more cable.... J/K :D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    hmmm...taken out back and shot....NS make sure u bring atleas 50' im sure there r people gunning for u m8 :)
    edited November 2003
    Routers? Huh?

I'm gonna have a switch for each of the two large areas. The switches will be connected to each other via gig fiber.

So, 100mb per client to switch, and 1000mb between switches.
  • edited November 2003
    Ageek had this to say
    What prime has are routers. Patch cords go to wall from computer, or in a smaller setting direct to router. Now I gotta go to Home Depot and get some more cable.... J/K :D

Yeah, I was thinking that was a rather long "patch cable" myself...

Anyways, a 'straight through' cable of 25+ feet would work.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    Ahhhhhhh-ha! I knew I wasn't alone in my insanity.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Windows CD and Driver CDs are also a good idea to bring along!
    edited November 2003
    Just a fair warning: The sarc-facilities have only a 768K SDSL connection, so if a bunch of people are downloading patches/maps/drivers it will get kinda slow, I would imagine.
    edited November 2003
    I plan on bringing a CD with the latest NAV virus defs on it, in the Intelligent Updater format. Seems like every time I go to a LAN party, some foo lets a virus loose on the network, and we spend a few hours in Damage Control mode!
    edited November 2003
    Um, ok.... Straight-through IS a patch cord according to my CISCO books and clases. And switches connect like routers as far as patch cord from a workstation to a network routing or switching device via a wall-ceiling run or a direct client connect to a normal switch or router-- like a Cable modem in that respect. Prime, I did not know if you needed to get the Cisco 2524 off the shelf for this or not.... Its just that we will have a semi-adhoc network, so we get to run to the switches direct from the computers, RIGHT??? So, yes, that is straight through, but if a workstation wants to program a router directly, and probably a switch, sometimes you need a crossover for the programming port. But, we will not be doing that here as LANWarriors.

Those of you enthusiasts in the US that need 25 foot patch cords premade and do not have a friend handy, you COULD get one from Cyberguys. OR, if Prime wants to ship a bulk box in that could be added to the cost, as they are cheaper by 10 each or more(Cyberguys has Cat5E 25 footers built with strain reliefs and which are CAT5E verified for $5.12 each in qty 10 or more -- http://www.cyberguys.com/ -- shipping will be a bit more, but if ordered ground ship should be about 60 cents each to ship, so a premade for each would be about $5.72 cents each-- but a 1000 foot CAT5E solid spool is only about $80.00 shipped from them in Blue or White or Grey-- and one spool makes exactly forty 25 footers-- add $24.00 for 100 ends, $7.50 for strain reliefs (100 each), total becomes $112.00 and cost per each is $2.80 each or about half as much-- say $3.00 each to allow for shipping cost variations between than and now if we build onsite and continuity verify to check end crimping from an Ideal Crimpmaster II crimp ), 7 color choice to match or conflict for visibility and less tripping with carpet). Alternatively, if someone wants to run by Home Depot and pick up a spool, or get a CAT5E spool from a supplier (Cyberguys is not too bad, neither is JameCo), I could bring an Ideal crimper for CAT5E and some ends and a stripper and a tester and we could make them THERE. Not only that, we could custom wire for the needs and not get signal loss from longer than needed lengths crossing each other. I say CAT5E due to signal loss from other things, that much gear will gen some RFI\EMI\EFI.

Prime, could an arrangement to pick me up at Detroit Metro (DTW) on the 7th, in afternoon, or the 8th in afternoon, be made??? If so, will help lay wires as needed for the client to switch lines. I WILL be coming in via Spirit, out of Fort Mudge (officially Fort Myers, but in Summer it gets Mudges all over so it got nicknamed Fort Mudge). If we have drop ceilings there at SARC, we could ceiling run the things and save some on noise maybe. Drop out of nearest ceiling tile corner to workstation points. IF anyone had a Fluke NetRunner they could bring that would be the cat's meow to verify the links good to CAT5E. AND better than cables that are not pro crimped even without that. But you folks decide that one, with my vote being build on site the day before LAN, from BULK.

John.
    edited November 2003
    RE Viruses:

Linux does not run them, Linux plays UT3.

But, yeah, Norton AV is the best thing to have on each Windows box-- and for those without, check out http://www.glob2000.com for some nice deals on NSW Pro 2003, last I checked they were less than $10.00 each and they are legal CDS sans manuals-- NSW has a Ghost, Utils, Cleansweep, and NAV 2003 among other things.

Has anyone seen any FreeBSD 5.1 compatible game portovers for what you will be playing??? THAT would be interesting on a Barton 2500+ in an Antec SOHO case, or my P4 box. IF MUST, will bring a legal XP in it, but wanted something virus resistant as an occasional email pickup might be wanted or my email accounts will severally overflow-- usually, I use Mozzie in Linux, no email viruses run-- PERIOD. Linux also has AV capability, several ways(best not free, about as much as a discounted NAV 2004). I can resync the email when I get home, and web access ALL of it if need be from XP. Other choice is 98 SE-- what O\S do you folks think, and what would be second best???

john.
  • edited November 2003
    Good idea about the installed and up to date virus scanner.

Added!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    So who's bringing the case(s) of bawls? :D
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Ageek had this to say
    RE Viruses:

Linux does not run them, Linux plays UT3.

Wait, are you saying Linux isn't susceptible to viruses?? :wtf:

Anyway, I dunno why everyone's making such a big deal about this 'patch cord' wording thing.

Step 1: Check house for 25ft or longer standard ethernet cable, if located skip to step 3.
    Step 2: Since you do not have this, go to your local Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA and buy a packaged one, or have one made somewhere, or order of the internet.
    Step 3: Bring 25ft or longer standard ethernet cable to S-M LAN in January, plug one end into computer, the other end into a switch.
    Step 4: Oh boy, it works!

I'm such a sarcastic beotch :D
    edited November 2003
    Black Hawk had this to say
    So who's bringing the case(s) of bawls? :D

Hmm... good point... maybe we can add it to the food budget? It's a little over $1 per bottle to order it from the bawls website, last I checked.
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, it's really nothing complicated whatsoever. There will CERTAINLY not be any in-wall or in-ceiling wiring done for a two day event. I mean, this is a no biggie thing: You plug one end of the cheap-ass Cat5(e) patch cord into the computer, the other end into whatever switch you are closest to. No need to think about RF/EMI/OtherAcronymStuff or packet loss or routing or FreeBSD. It's just games. Plug in, play, and make fun of the guy(girl) next to you.
    edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    No need to think about RF/EMI/OtherAcronymStuff

wel there's one ancronym you're gonna want to know, and that's "omfg" cause you're definitly gonna be saying "OMFG HE'S SO l33t" when I pull up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    It's a rollover cable to configure console on Cisco routers, not crossover.

Just being pedantic.
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say

Just being pedantic.

Triple Word Score for Thrax. :D
    edited November 2003
    And just to be thraxish, switches manufactured in the last two years, especially the mid-range managed switches such as we will be using for this event, have auto-detect capabilities on every port. If it's a pure 100mbit or 1000mbit switch, they have basically removed the dedicated uplink port since any port will auto-detect whether it should crossover or not.
    edited November 2003
    Well, yes. I was in the process of typing exactly that, AND wiremappings for straight-through, rollover, crossover, but I figured that was excessive even for me. ;D

I was outthraxed.

//EDIT: Prime, get on AIM.
    edited November 2003
    Enough already! That's it, I'm closing this thread.

Oh, wait. I can't, so I have to keep reading crossover rollover patch discussions.

As you were!
    edited November 2003
    GHoosdum had this to say
    Enough already! That's it, I'm closing this thread.

Oh, wait. I can't, so I have to keep reading crossover rollover patch discussions.

As you were!

apparently my extreme sarcasm and witty attitude were not enough to stop the madness. :)
    edited November 2003
    I can't resist.

<b>Straight through:</b>

<i>First end:</i>
    1. White-orange
    2. Orange
    3. White-green
    4. Blue
    5. Blue-white
    6. Green
    7. White-brown
    8. Brown

<i>Second end:</i>
    1. White-orange
    2. Orange
    3. White-green
    4. Blue
    5. Blue-white
    6. Green
    7. White-brown
    8. Brown

<b>Crossover:</b>

1. White-orange
    2. Orange
    3. White-green
    4. Blue
    5. Blue-white
    6. Green
    7. White-brown
    8. Brown.

<i>Second end (Flip 1/2 with 3/6):</i>
    1. White/green
    2. green
    3. white/orange
    4. blue
    5. blue/white
    6. orange
    7. white/brown
    8. brown

<b>Rollover:</b>

1. White-orange
    2. Orange
    3. White-green
    4. Blue
    5. Blue-white
    6. Green
    7. White-brown
    8. Brown

<i>Second end:</i>
    1. Brown
    2. White-brown
    3. Green
    4. Blue-white
    5. Blue
    6. White-green
    7. Orange
    8. White-orange

/me flees back to his Cisco
    edited November 2003
    ahahahaha, you just can't stop yourself, can you? :D

I have the damn straight through one commited to memory because of the CNAP
    edited November 2003
    No, I can't. ;D

If it gets into my head, I have to post it...I can't even try to stop myself, it doesn't work.